Wednesday, April 23, 2008

B is for Bags at Knit Night

After discovering that I was traveling with no less than 11 projects (3 socks, forest canopy shawl, Christmas stocking, Holiday knits Pillow, crochet doily, and I accidentally forget the rest), I realized that a smaller bag to put in my knitting bag was a must.

For me it's like having food in the house after going to the grocery store. If I don't see it, we don't have it and I forget all about it. I probably have at least 6 months worth of knitting in that one bag, but what a relief. Might be time for a WIP post.

Conversation topics included pondering about the checking of $20 bills with highlighters. Why not check fives and tens-now there's a counterfeit market. Debbie decided she was just going to scribble on any bill anyone hands her. I suggested yellow crayon.

The other laughs came from imagining Debbie in the RV being circled by her husband on his Harley with Riley, the African parrot back seat driving from the passenger seat. An option much better than husband riding next to the driver's side with a bullhorn. This hasn't happened yet but we're expecting it.

Finally an episode in first grade at the end of my day cracked me up. Levi says (at the beginning of class) "Can we play xylophones today?" I say, "sure." Levi (not his real name) proceeds to act like a little squirt for the next 30 minutes. As we proceed to the xylophones, I am placing students where they need to be and turn around to see Levi practicing standing on his head.

As I pointed out at knit night, I'm not opposed to head standing. In fact I voted for it yesterday. But there's a time and a place.

I sent Levi to a little time out area (no xylophones for him)and, being the good teacher that I am, later went to him and suggested that maybe he shouldn't stand on his head in music class. He informed me that he "had one foot on the ground."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he had one foot on the ground, as well as his head. I don't think Kasey Kasem says anything about keeping your head on the ground while you're reaching for the stars...but maybe he should rethink that.

Mag said...

Maybe he needed to get some oxygen into his brain. Where do they learn this stuff? Yoga in P.E.?

Hey, do kids sing those old timey songs in music class like we did back in the sixties? Like "Dixie" and "I've been Working on the Railroad" and "This Land was Made for you and me"? I have a bet riding on the answer. Here's my email mksparks13@yahoo.com

Yarnhog said...

It's important to keep one foot on the ground at all times.

I did an experiment with my fifth grade science club yesterday that involved creating "impact craters" by dropping marbles into pans of flour with a contrasting "surface layer". Next time I will choose a colored powder other than hot chocolate powder. The kids kept licking the moon surface.

Kim said...

You need to get yourself some bags for each project! One good thing about carrying all your WIPs with you is that if you get sickof knitting on one project another one is right there with you.
It doesn't count as standing on your head if one foot is still on the ground.

Mary Beth said...

Smart a.. kids today. What to do with 'em? My middle DS informed me the other day that he was dropping math class. I said he couldn't per the fact that he is home schooled & I won't allow it. He said what could I do about it. I can't suspend him. I said unlike @ public school, I could wack him. :)

Carol said...

::snort:: so does that make Levi well grounded?

Lydee said...

head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes,....and standing on my head with my foot down on the floor, head shoulders knees and toes!

Haley said...

oh, first graders!

Anonymous said...

I so want to come to your knit night.