Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No $4M Buyout for this Music Teacher

If you follow Big East college football, you are aware of the feelings of rage and betrayal in the state of West Virginia at the recently announced departure of WVU Mountaineer football coach Rich Rodrigez to the University of Michigan. (Husband and I are both WVU alum.) It is indeed the talk of the town. In fact, no one has been talking about the weather since Sunday. We're so mad, we don't care what the weather is.

This morning I joked with faculty and staff (after listening to some morning radio)that at the a.m. showing of the Winter Holiday Program I was going to put an end to all rumors regarding the buyout of my own music teacher contract. Everyone laughed, but a few teachers (who's judgement I trust) suggested that it was such a hot issue that it might be best not to bring it up.

As the principal gave me the beautiful Christmas flower arrangement at the end of the afternoon show, she also handed me the paper pictured below. Signed by all faculty, it is a petition opposing a buyout of my current contract so that I might go to Michigan.



Not sure how well the funny transfers for those of you who don't follow the whole college football scene but the fact that all faculty and staff were willing to sign a pretend petition to keep me away from a $4M contract I don't have was worth a post. I mean come on, Lisa even signed her REAL name (Alicia.) She NEVER uses that name unless she really means it.

Another great part of the day was a visit from poly_dactyl who drove 2 hours (one way) over Appalachian mountainage and through the coal fields with 9 week old Benjamin David to see the show. It's always so great to have a music teacher colleague around who will give you an honest assessment. (or at least one you can read between the lines in the gentlest way with.) And now that I have a puppy, I almost know how to play with a baby.

Hey blog friends, if you decide to leave me for Michigan, I might be able to have a real life friend or two.

I'm also considering posting one of the most energetic versions of "Nuttin for Christmas" that I've heard to date. Here's your chance to vote for or against blog content. If I get 15 requests, up it goes.

17 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Great seeing you yesterday! I would like to hear those 2nd graders again!

LillyB said...

yesterday the Jefferson High Show Choir performed for us and they did a semi-rap version of Nuttin for Christmas...it was pretty funny...so if that's it...then yes...post!

sunshine said...

I have heard it!!! But I want to hear it again. Forget the 15 requests and put it up. I remember an Aunt who couldn't stop laughing and singing it when she heard it!! Post it! Post it! Please!

Olga said...

BRING IT ON!!!! I want to hear the song!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it lovely to be wanted?? Did they offer to pay for your Xanax?

Kim said...

I vote for Nuttin for Christmas. No clue what it is, but I want to find out. That's great that the folks you work with have a sense of humor. I'm out of the college football loop in NJ.

Yarnhog said...

What a total crack-up! I wonder if I could get Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica to buy out my mom contract?

I'd love to hear "Nuttin' for Christmas." My mom and I used to sing it when I was little.

Faith said...

Oh my goodness, that petition is confusing and hysterical! It must make you feel good? In a joke-related kind of way?

Mag said...

I don't think I've ever heard "nuttin' for christmas". (I don't have kids, thus never been to school music shows and recitals since my own school years.)

Carrie K said...

Why do we care so much more about football than music or for that matter, math and English? No don't tell me. It'll only depress me.

Anonymous said...

Awwww, that was totally sweet of your co-workers. Please post Nuttin for Christmas. If necessary I will comment enough time to bring the count to 15.

Tammy said...

First of all... as a proud Buckeye, I swear to never leave you, or anyone, for Michigan. Secondly as a WVU fan myself (on my father's side), I feel your pain. My dad who travels from Columbus, OH to attend every game is livid.

I love the petition though and am so glad that you are appreciated where you are! And, last but not least, I am casting my vote for "Nuttin for Christmas".

Lydee said...

That petition is sooo funny! Have you seen "How Rich Rod stole Christmas"? Okay, here are the rest of your 15 requests: one from me

Lydee said...

two from evelyn and vivian, because they would love to hear it over and over again

Lydee said...

one from hubby, he just doesn't know he wants it yet

Lydee said...

one from Tubby, because she'll get to sit on my lap while I'm listening

Lydee said...

And one from Princess, because she'll go along with the rest of the crowd