Sunday, March 31, 2019

another Sunday- more nonstop laughter

It all began with the March Madness.

Greathusbandbob and Nephewjohn were talking about the tournament results.  Auntofmine said "Why are all the players black?"

There was discussion on how not "all" of them were but many played a lot of street ball growing up in the hood (with the O.G. rooster which had already been discussed) Then we had to explain the difference to Auntofmine between street ball and basketball in a gym.  She had a hard time realizing that not everyone has a gym to play in.

All was revealed in the b-ball experiences.

Nephewjohn played street ball every day.

Greathusbandbob played a lot of street ball but was a bench warmer in high school.  Once he got in trouble with the coach because his cheerleader girlfriend gave him a banana and he ate it while sitting on the bench.

Auntofmine played as well and saw some action.

Barbara (who isn't any taller than 5') was on the team and warmed the bench. BUT she had a doll with long blonde hair (Aunt said "YOU HAD A BALD DOLL?" (and yet she refuses to consider a hearing screening) that she took to every game and wore a team uniform.  Come to find in her time the girls could only play on a half court-  3 people on one side for defense, 3 on the other side for defense.  Later in life while John was in her care and she was distracted by the phone she found John had turned hurling blonde hair into a page boy.

The only story I had was that I knew so little about basketball but felt obligated, being tall, and ended up being the manager and keeping book for my junior high team.

This conversation led to the one about the players getting scholarships and scholarships in general.  Greathusbandbob told the story of his business wheelings and  dealings between the computer science and math department to get a 2 year assistantship paying $1000 month. (instead of having to take three years and a $600 salary)

This led me to think about how I paid for graduate school and I realized that a good bit of it was free money.  For my masters in music ed I was recommended as a worthy student and any time the Dean had extra assistantship money I didn't have to pay for my credits.  This ws most of the time. I had forgotten about that.  Both Nephewjohn and Greathusbandbob seemed a little chuffed that I didn't have to do anything for it.  I then thought a little further ahead and remembered that for about 6 months I was getting free coursework and a salary from the Educational Leadership program.  I had completely forgotten.

Greathusbandbob said "I don't know what you think but I think getting anything for free and not having to do anything for it is stealing."  I replied "Then don't go looking for a birthday present this year."  Stopped him in his tracks.  The first time ever.

This led to a conversation about people stealing from their employers.  Nephewjohn said he had heard of a guy who worked in construction who built his house by stealing everything from his workplace.  I told Greathusbandbob to get ready for a house of drums.

Later in the conversation while looking over the calendar of events Greathusbandbob noticed that they were offering music meditation for the residents.  He asked if I thought I could lead something like that to which I replied- I'd have to steal some drums.

Finally- while it started with a conversation about surgery and sedation, Greathusbandbob talked about my response to being "under" for the fist time.  I said "I like drugs- I wish I could take them all the time"  He thought he was saying something astonishing but I said "I said that in the car on the way here."  Nephewjohn suggested that everyone needs medication to come to the Village- in fact it should be offered in candy dishes as you enter.

There was quite a lot of laughing once again- I know this snapshot doesn't do it justice.  Next time I will have to take notes.

2 comments:

sunshine said...

What snapshot????

kmkat said...

When I was in gym we had to play on half the court. Gak. But I wish I could have been in on this conversation -- it sounds like a hoot!