Friday, April 17, 2009

Makers and Readers

There are those who are exclusively music readers. While they have the ability to understand the complicated process of translating symbols into sound, little to no emoting is involved and performances are flat and lifeless.

There are others who are exclusively music makers. Music makers with little or no reading skills who often disregard themselves as Capital M Musicians because of their inability to read.

Then there is that small group of people who are both. Music readers and music makers. Two paragons of perfection in this category are Yo Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin but there are many others.

As a student of music, I became a music reader. I believe that I became a student of music because I was/am a music maker.

The thing is, once you become a Capital S Student of music, the only path offered to you is that of becoming a better music maker by reading. That's o.k. There is a lot of good music that could and should be read and played.

When I bought the flute, somewhere in my subconscious was the desire to return to simply music making. I know this because I opened the etude books I purchased and began to play and the joy of the flute vanished. I could not picture sitting by the ocean with the wind blowing through my etude book.

Insight appeared this past week. With Rickie Lee Jones singing Autumn Leaves in my ear buds, I re-discovered music making. There are no rules for me these days. If my heart desired, I could learn technically complicated passages and increase my abilities with flute etudes. But my heart doesn't desire that. It just wants to play.

Given my unfamiliarity with this freedom, it was a little unsettling and awkward at first. The sounds aren't perfect, I'm not consistent, I fade in and out, my fingers occasionally panic. BUT. Every now and then it sounds good- and I'm making music with Rickie Lee.

Go forth and make Music my friends.

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Great post! As a music reader, I totally understand the difference (which is why I don't play anymore).

Carol said...

there is nothing wron giwth simply wanting to play what moves you. It does not always have to be about learning new techniques or the like. Playing something that lifts the heart also serves it's purpose.

I think sometimes children understand that instinctively. Sometimes you do things because you enjoy them It does not always have to be 'useful'

Cindy said...

It's similar in singing. Of course, I'm a Presbyterian, and we read. I have just started learning the idea of singing with emotion. I can play the piano with emotion because it's less personal. Singing is intensely personal and it's hard to just let loose. Go for it, girl!