Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Facing the Book

Michael Scott asked me to join his paper company.

O.k. not really.

Actually, MY Michael Scott friended me on Facebook.

At 11:00 pm last night.

And then called in sick today. He is SOOOO Michael Scott.

In spite of the potential for great stories, I have chosen to ignore his request.

Posting on Facebook is announcing whatever is on your mind to your world. I do not often post on it because I fear I may forget all of the people in my world.

Exciting posts of the past include

Sophanne survived a root canal

Sophanne wonders why her dog foams at the mouth at the dog park.

and most often

That's such a cute picture

Although I'm pretty sure one time I wrote

Sophanne wonders why she works for Michael Scott

There is a diatribe in my head in response to the aforementioned request with words like not in a million years and are you WHACKED? and with friends like that etc etc. Fill in the rest.

What about that facebook? Are you there? Who are your friends (just family-former classmates-old friends-other)? Have you ignored requests? What do you ignore? What's good about it? Why bother? Is there a Miss Manners/Emily Post guide to Facebook etiquette? What would the rules be?

10 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I don't Facebook. Period. I ignore all invitations. (Although I did get one from a person who astounded me with her gall for sending such an invite in the first place--must have been a mistake--and almost accepted just to see what she would do.)

Kim said...

I'm like Yarnhog, I do not Facebook. I'm not gonna either. I have my knit community from blogs, Flickr and Ravelry and I don't need anyone else. I'm a fibery hermit sort of.

Anonymous said...

I am on facebook. I like it to keep in touch with friends from school and such. I don't post my most inner thoughts on it like some people do, plus it's a way to kill some time...

Mary Kathryn said...

I love FB (and consider it blogging for dummies). I fear that I am somewhat of a FB ho when it comes to friendship, too... I am friends with many people from high school/college that I honestly don't remember EVER conversing with in real life. Weird, but it happens. I don't understand the fascination with it, but I really do like the whole thing, with the exception of all the cheesy applications - I do not participate in pokes or green patches or any of the other oddities. I like the whole photo tagging thing, and just the entire weird social experiment of it all.

Mary Kathryn said...

P.S. I am sending the "FB in Real Life" video to your FB inbox, just in case you haven't seen it. It is REALLY funny.

5elementknitr said...

I only have friends and family on my FB. When complete strangers try to friend me on FB, I "ignore" but when they friend me on Rav, I'm all "SURE!" - weird, that.

I love to play Scrabble with my FB friends!

I don't participate in the snowball/yarn throwing stuff. I'm not on there enough to mess with that.

YawnOver said...

I'm not on Facebook, but like Mary Kathryn up there I'll admit I'm fascinated with the whole social experiment aspect. However, Ravelry is totally enough of a timesuck for me ;)

Love the Michael Scott references. Hubs and I are big fans.

Haley said...

I'm on facebook and I like it. I don't do all the applications, but I enjoy catching up with friends from all parts of my past (elementary school, middle school, high school, college, past jobs, family, current friends, etc.). I have ignored a few friend requests (total strangers and my high school physics teacher-- i hated that sexist man and he never bothered to tell my twin sister and i apart so why would he want to friend me--weird!). there are people who have surprised me by friending me, but i still accept the request. what do i care if they look at current pics of me? now if a current boss friended me, i'd have to think long and hard about accepting--it does limit what you can say--kind of like the fact that my mother-in-law reads my blog--it limits me!

Carol said...

Yup, I'm there. I have created a limited profile for those I don't want to see everything. like prospective employers. I want them to be able to contact me easily, but not see my vacation pics etc.

Lydee said...

hmm, the limited profile sounds useful. i've ignored requests, like when student teachers ask. i'm all "that's too weird" and then i can't freely let it all out.

michael scott, lol.