Saturday, May 24, 2008

T is for Thoughts on the craft

Knit and Crochet.

It felt so great to hold knitting needles after crocheting the giant Babette. It feels like different parts of my brain are engaged and more concentration is required (thus preventing my mind from wandering to other things) I don't think one is better than the other. Each offers its own fibery escape.

Complicated and Easy.

I saw several very simple and very beautiful knits at MDSW. There were also many beautiful and complicated pieces. The appeal of knitting to me thus far has been to do the "next hardest thing." One of the reasons I began knitting was that I craved the lessons in patience that difficult projects require. I'm starting to come to the idea that there may be as much as or more patience required for the simpler projects. Again- one's not better than the other but offers and asks for different skills.

Expensive and Cheap.

I am slowly coming to terms with my Aristotelean belief that there is one perfect knitting bag and as soon as I find it, I'll never need another. The latest attempt is the Laguna bag from Namaste. (purchased at Scout's Swag) As soon as I didn't win this at the Ravelry raffle at MDSW, I knew one would find it's way onto my credit card.

Antonio Banderas puts out a good project bag if you can find his $21.69 gift bag at a close-out sale for $2.17 at your local Big Lots. The bonus of these little bags is that I now own seven of them. Perfect for projects the dog believes we should share. The drawback is that I've got to figure out what to do with all of the cologne/lotion that comes with them.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally thought that the Namaste bags would be out of my price range...then I went to Scout's Swag and saw otherwise. $@#^$! Holy hell. Must.Have.That.Bag!!

Looking forward to seeing you soon....

Jennie said...

lol great find with the project bags. Yeah, hmmm that's a-lott-a cologne and lotions. :)

Carol said...

I have a slow on-going project to knit up my own. But it is slow. And not fulfillkng yet.... As for the lotion etc...donate to a homeless chelter? Or men's shelter?

Yarnhog said...

I am giggling like a lunatic at the thought of Antonio Banderas's sad face at the sight of all his lotions in the trash and the bags full of knitting!

Anonymous said...

I save all my plastic zipper bags they work great for storing yarn among other things.

Mary Beth said...

I too kep buying bags in hopes of the perfect one. My newest acquisition is a wonderful size & great color, BUT it doesn't stay standing up. It crumples up on my knitting books, magazines, patterns, etc. I am not pleased. So, like you, I'll keep buying another & another til I find that elusive favorite.