Saturday, May 17, 2008

Q is for Quaint Little Festival

.. with the emphasis on Little.

The 5th Annual Waynesburg Sheep and Fiber Festival Report



I snagged some roving for the self proclaimed month of spinning to come in June. I also got some tidbits of help from someone who let me spin a little on her wheel. Some spinning uncertainties were clarified. Hallelujah.

The wind kicked the vendors asses. Tents that were not attached to automobiles were doing a Bob Dylan. (Blowing in the Wind)

At least once the crash of wine bottles at a wine tasting booth was heard.

I did find the woman whose spun/dyed wool I purchased last year. I was wearing the sweater of said wool. It was Barbara Campbell and she has not retired her sheep. (no gold watches for you sheepy) It was kind of a nice little circle to be made.

There was a giant (but not trash bag sized) bag of yarn which turned out to be mostly acrylic that I picked up for $15. There are a couple of unknown unlabeled cakes that may be wool which I will test using Tamara's method suggested in a previous post's comment. (looks like we can all look forward to a science experiment when school is out!) I figured that for $15 I was willing to take someone else's ancient acrylic off their hands and I will feel no guilt in trashing it as needed- or making gifts for people who aren't my favorite or who have "Lofted Estron" fetishes.

The Sheep to Shawl contest was underway. What didn't occur to me last year that did occur to me this year is that the wool they are spinning is fresh off the sheep. No time for multiple washing or intensive carding. They carded it enough to get the worst of the organic material out and then into the wheel and onto the loom it goes.

While there wasn't much to see or stay for, this festival will always be a meaningful event to me. I started "really" knitting at the Second Annual Waynesburg Sheep and Fiber Festival. Each year that I go hallmarks all that I have learned through the year.

6 comments:

Carol said...

I love the little festivals. The big ones are nice, but sometimes overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Do not trash the acrylic, no matter how much you want to. Donate it to a nursing home or here: http://mcduf.blogspot.com/. There are bound to be folks who want to knit something washable and don't want to bother (!) with wool.

I love me a little festival.

Lydee said...

aye, the wine bottles were a wee bit tipsy, eh?

Deborah-- said...

Awww aren't those the cutest little faces? Sounds like mother nature was having some fun. Definitely don't throw away the acrylic yarn. Many places will take it, including prisons.

Yarnhog said...

Awwww...sheeeeeep!

I'll bet that's some gummy spinning, with unwashed wool. Bleah.

Anonymous said...

Cool! And I love how the smell of a newly-shorn fleece just holds a wonderment of excitement of all the things it could be, all the colors, all the textures, all the patterns it could be when it grows up. Just waiting to be discovered.