Sunday, September 02, 2007

Lookin' for Mojo at the LYS

I started what I'm calling the "not wool not vest" I still had an error after casting on and not paying attention for the eleventybazillionth time. An extra knit row at the bottom, but I think I'll learn to like the little curl it makes. This is a simple pattern with chunky yarn No sleeves. Cable up through the turtle neck (though I may stop cabling early and let it roll down) in the round. Didn't check for gauge- using exact yarn called for- I laugh in the face of the Knitting Goddess.



The most interesting thing regarding this attempt is the struggle with sizing (I know- why bother if you're not even going to check for gauge.) Knitting Daily has been posting the garments from the latest Interweave Knits issue done in different sizes on different women, describing the ease and discussing negative ease. I can't say exactly what I've learned from it other than to see someone with a waist larger than myself wearing a size smaller than I would knit for myself and looking good in it encourages me to believe the numbers a little bit more.

Playing with felt from the 30% off bin


With such not so great mojo going on, I wasn't going to pay full price for any fiber. I went to the "treasure chest" and got myself some pretty wool to play with felting. The one on the left is 144 yds of Debbie Bliss Soho. I used the basic bottom of the bag structure of the infamous Postal Bag and I think I'm going to try to knit in the handles by casting some off and then adding stitches. How can one screw up a pattern if there isn't one? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

The one on the right is one of 2 skeins (270 yds total) of artful yarns in a color that would never occur to me. I'll try something else felted and if it's really not me, find someone to give it to at the holidays.

The Strangled Web (as Opposed to Tangled Yoke) plods along- There are really only 18 rows of yoke-I'm just a whiner. I only have 14 rows left and 7 of them are all purl. This too shall pass.

5 comments:

Yarnhog said...

"I laugh in the face of the knitting goddess..." I got a little chill down my spine reading that. You do know you're going down in flames, right?

Olga said...

You could call that sweater'The Strangler" heh. sounds more goth.

Anonymous said...

Those gallery photos in Knitting Daily are causing me to ponder proper sizing, too. Except when I think, What is a person with a 32" bust doing in the same universe with me, anyway? And how does the fact that X looks good on her translate to how it might look on me (48")?

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

You're gonna get it…

In a world where the only way I fly is by the seat of my pants… I have become obsessive about gauge (hell I have to have control over SOMETHING).

You go you gaugeless heathen.

Anonymous said...

Very daring to throw caution to the wind and knit a garment without a gauge swatch! If it doesn't work out, at least it will make an amusing post!