Friday, September 07, 2007

directions

Please slap me in the forehead and call me stupid. Who do I think I am? A 4-circle knitter? When did I decide that I could just slowly finish up one intermediate/advanced sweater and start swatching on the second. And yet... where else in life is it possible to take such risks? What's the harm?

I've finished half of the code for th TYC row that was kicking my ass earlier. I'm heading toward the finish line slowly but relatively steadily.

Last night I swatched some Cascade 220 Heathers (dark green and black) for... are you ready... the Central Park Hoodie. Now I realize I'm behind the times but this is really the sweater that made me want to knit sweaters and oh how glad I am that I
didn't start my career with it.

It would appear that TYC is a good pre-project for the CPH. One cable chart of 18 rows versus 3 different cable charts with 12 rows.

I've seen some on-line optionss/adjustments to the pattern for doing it in the round (that sounds a little obscene) but as a rule follower I am disinclined to break the rules of the IK design. Any other advice/encouragement/discouragement would be well appreciated- I'm guessing there are multiple pages of this kind of thing on Ravelry, but alas, I'm still in Ravelry Purgatory.

11 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I'm not a huge fan of knitting in the round. For one thing, the sweater quickly becomes too heavy and bulky to carry around, and requires constant turning while in your lap. For another, the side seams in a sweater help to stabilize it and prevent stretching while you wear it. I know lots of people love knitting in the round, and you don't have to sew as many seams, but you have to decide what your own priorities are.

Haley said...

i happen to love knitting in the round, but that's just me. the only downfall, no seams to weave your yarn ends into. sorry i've been AWAL this week. it's been a busy one. i agree with you about Ravelry Purgatory. i'm starting to hate Ravelry. there are so many fun-linking links i can't follow because i'm not in ravelry. oh well. someday. i think i'm still behind tens of thousands of people. happy knitting!

Haley said...

There are 10,761 people ahead of me in line. Not as bad as I thought.

Anonymous said...

I like knitting in the round too thought I'm not so brave as to change the pattern myself.

I'm in Ravelry purgatory too

YawnOver said...

Knitting in the round? Hooray! But what do I know, I just hate anything that involves seams :) CPH is a great sweater, can't wait to see what you'll do with it. PS I have 7,461 people ahead of me:(

Deborah-- said...

Welcome to the world of knitting CPH. I personally am loving knitting this sweater in one piece. You aren't actually knitting it in the round because it is a jacket. You are just knitting the body pieces together in one piece so you don't have to do the side seams. You are knitting back and forth. I look forward to seeing your progress. This sweater is truly an easy knit.

Lydee said...

yea! doin' it in the round! Definitely sounds obscene, that's what makes it so much fun to say! Sorry that's the only knitting help I can provide, and it doesn't make much sense at that : ) Do you think I've been dosing myself after my crappy day? The only thing I've had is Oreos, but they do have a weird effect on me. I was just trying to moon walk to "Beat It".

Olga said...

Kevin Spacey? Really? I loved him as Lex Luther in Superman Returns, but thats about it. Death to Smoochy is the one your thinking about, thats first on my list to see! And do the book thing, its funnie. I have only knit one sweater in the round, a childs, and it weighed like 10000 pounds and it was a complete pain to turn and hold in my lap. ok , enough free associations....

Sharon said...

Do it in the round, just don't do it in the road. (I really shouldn't visit blogs this late at night.) Seriously, though, if you don't think knitting the sweater in the round will be fun, then it probably won't be, and you'd be better off knitting it flat. But by all means knit it. So what if the TYC isn't done yet? The only rules in knitting are the ones we impose on ourselves. (gee but I'm brilliant--who knew?)

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I agree with Sharon about doing it in the round but reserving it for times when you can really pay attention--this is what I call high cognitive load knitting. I also recommend learning to cable w/o a cable needle, there's a great tutorial on the letsknit2gether video blog.

Yarnhog said...

There's also a great tutorial on knitting without a cable needle on Grumperina's blog. It changed my knitting life. I always loved cabling, but now I'm an addict!