Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ghknit Ghnight (the gh is silent)

Ah... knit night how I continue to love thee.

CPH back is finished. 2 extra stitches on the neck but I'm letting that one slide. I k'd a couple of p stitches about 20 rows down and was graced by All-Wise (in the very very best knitting friend way) Debbie's tip for the night. She handed me a latch hook (only smaller than ones I've seen before-she says its from a knitting machine) to pick up the stitches with and yes indeed it was easier than a crochet hook. Very Very Painless.

Knitting friends had a variety of projects- there were several knitting socks on circulars-teasing me- but I've come to accept the fact that I can't knit witha da spaghetti and I feel really supercool with dpns.

There was a beautiful baby sweater that was an heirloom of sorts that a woman brought in and wanted help figuring out the pattern for so that she could knit it by Friday. Note to self- believe LYS owners when they tell you the impossible things that people dream they can do.

Another extremely cute felted hat told me that I too, could figure this out and might have a chance at being really clever and creative at it someday. That's in the back of my head.

I haven't been this taken with an activity since I thought I was going to be a music teacher when I grew up. I may seriously need to consider a career change down the road. Although I'm guessing that when your hobby turns into your work, it starts to feel more like work.

That's all I've got tonight. The wheel is scheduled to land by Tuesday or Wednesday- from New Zealand- how in the world can that be? No news on the glass head's mailing status but I'm here to say that the secretary at school is going to crack up when my packages start to arrive.

8 comments:

Quail Hill Knits said...

Knit nights are always so much fun no matter where they are. They are also inspiring. Sound like you had a nice time.

Anonymous said...

How does the latch hook work to help you pick up stitches? I'm trying to picture this but I'm not doing a good job.

sophanne said...

It essentially works the same way as a crochet hook except that when it comes time to pull the yarn in back through the dropped stitch, the latch closes and there's no worry of yarn splitting or slipping off of the crochet hook. The dropped stitche goes below the whole "latch" mechanism, the picked up stitch goes inside the hook and then latches- pull it through fearlessly.

Olga said...

I can hardly wait to see the glass head, that sounds soooo cool.

Anonymous said...

I love my knit night too. You could use the glass head to block the felted hat!

Yarnhog said...

What's wrong with planning to knit an heirloom baby sweater in three days? That seems perfectly normal to me. Even without a pattern. Even without yarn or needles. We are knitters. We are mighty. We are in complete denial.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I know, Knit Night is a joy to behold every time...

ikisti said...

i love it when funny packages show up at work. It breaks up the day. :)