Sunday, November 30, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night

Or else there is a filter in my brain operating so I see only the drear.

I had to go to the laundromat today. (our dryer is in temporary disrepair) Cement blocks painted blue, old tile with black scuff marks, dryers that run exactly one body row of Wicked before they need another quarter. The woman washing A-One security guard uniforms, amazed when I knew when the dryer was done without even looking at it.

Then home and The Dog- Little Ray of Sunshine that she is.

Out to the local diner thinking perhaps the filter had lifted. Dead chrysanthemums, air-conditioner rusted metal siding, leftover fake steak with dried cheese hanging out on an uncleared table. Why are these things popping into my field of vision?

Sitting across from an older couple. Surely nothing there to repulse me. "Bucky" started drinking his half and halfs out of the little plastic containers as the 12 Redneck Days of Christmas sounds over the airwaves. nine days of probation

A visit to the local grocery store to find a temporary rubber chicken replacement. While checking out, a couple of extras from the movie Deliverance throw two giant packages of beef liver on the conveyer belt.

At least PA's hunting season starts tomorrow and road kill (I almost typed toad kill) will be strapped on the back of trucks near and far.

Then home again and the little Dog of Sunshine and a sweater that's knitting up in record time. In the ugly gray that is between snows in November, I am glad for Dogs of Sunshine and Comfort Knitting,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Yesterday #2 son and his gf and I went out for dinner. They were nearly done with their pizzas before my Buffalo chicken sandwich arrived at the table. I had noticed the same thing happened at the table next to us. Not drear, exactly, but definitely irritating.

November makes us soooo grateful for the occasional/rare sunny day.

LisaBe said...

i tell you--i hate days like that. but they do let us appreciate the fabulousness that is a sunshine dog or two. i'm loving this last day of my staycation: knitting a sock pattern i've been dying to try in my favorite yarn in the world, snuggled up with two sunshine dogs and two sunshine kittehs, and watching the steelers. i just hope we win :)

sunshine said...

did you find a replacement duck? Just think how Liza feels without it!!

Mary Beth said...

You can still be absolutely funny even when your miserable.

My dryer had a breakdown right before the holiday, too! Had to send all my wet laundry over to my friend/neighbor so she could dry them & I could pack. Paula was a lifesaver!Turns out the heater element had a break between a couple of the coils. An engineering friend told us to wrap the 2 ends together & it'd last at least another 3 years.

Hmm. I am so positive that the roadkill strapped to trucks will be such a welcome sight on your daily drives.

Nine days of probation? Bucky drinking? Bwah ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I think that The Redneck Days of Christmas tune is eminating from my house....as over the weekend we had not one, not two, but THREE (yes, three) deer hanging around my property. One of which was actually strung up from the rafters of my porch roof....oh to be wed to a man from WV!!!

Yarnhog said...

Sounds like you need to stay home for a while.

I always think of "hunting" as one of those things they made up for cartoons. (Why, yes, I am Californian, how did you know?)

My washer broke down a couple of weeks ago and I had to go to the laundromat. I was shocked that a)it costs $8.00 to do a load of laundry, and b)the only people who use the laundromat are the migrant workers who live in the canyons. They must get paid better than I thought.

Kim said...

Sounds like you were transported to a David Lynch movie!

Carol said...

Makes you want to go to bed and start the day over again! Or stay in bed and knit. Too bad life demands we do things like groceries.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hope you enjoyed Buck Day!!

Lydee said...

bleech....
lol though!