Saturday, March 24, 2007

nothing to hide but...

I said I wasn't going to post this project until it was finished but I think I'd like to watch the change after it hits the washing machine. Right now it's about 8" tall. Another 12" and I will begin the flap and straps to make it feel like a mailbag pouch. Then it will shrink in size (or so they say) upon felting.

At the knitting class finale on Thursday, CC referred to some items in this blog that she could not have heard any other way. On Thursday evening I quickly searched it for any identifying content and material where I might have been less than impeccable with my words and hoped for the best. Yesterday morning I asked CC if she enjoyed the Thursday evening post. She seemed puzzled. I asked her how she happened upon the page and she said "it was just there." After scouring the evidence I remembered that I had 2 somewhat mischevious students in my room for lunch on Thursday (one from the knitting class but not CC) and there was about 10 minutes when they were in the room and I was not. Likely the site was up on the computer. BLoggers beware-your words are out there. As the title says- I've really got nothing to hide but...

Today I will travel to "the city" to visit any second hand stores I can find and possibly the LYS. This adventure was inspired by he March 18 post at http://beyondlifeexpectancy1.blogspot.com/
and photos from a vintage book called "Knitting for Fun." I'm too lazy to figure out how to insert the link, so copy and past the site and have a look. It's worth the effort. I also think that the recent forays to the gym and the improved weather (though rainy) have given me a little more physical energy to go out and about into the world. Why walk in one place when you can walk from store to store looking for treasures?

Also at some point in the last two weeks I realized that just because I love to knit doesn't mean I am obliged to do it with every minute of free time that I have. Yes, objects might be a little slower to reach completion but a little human interaction never hurt anyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it will shrink that's for sure. the first time i made a purse i was shocked at the size when i washed it. i had to put it through a few cycles until i was happy with the finished size but i was using only one strand of worsted wieght yarn. the bulky yarns seem to felt faster and the needle size has some effect too i understand. i am wanting a messenger type bag and i think i'll have to knit myself one to get what i want.