Monday, July 13, 2009

New Olympic Event

Much like its predecessor, Volleyshoe is an excellent beach game. Played with a size 2 purple croc (specs can and do vary) there are fewer volleys and skilled play is based on the drama of the hit more than the accuracy.

"Getting Under the Shoe" and "Setting the Shoe" is encouraged as is "Diving for the Shoe." To date the record number of successful volleys is three.

The advantage to Volleyshoe over it's more traditional Volleyball is that the shoe does not go rolling off into the water. Volleyshoe appears to have the effect of keeping seven and nine year old siblings bicker-free (and occasionally apologizing for poor volleys) for OVER FORTY MINUTES.



For those of you joining me on this journey, here is a map of where you are. The beach in the photo above is Alki Beach in West Seattle. Our cozy cottage is a few blocks south of here.



And now, because you are my friends and I feel I can trust you, I have to tell you that sometimes kids make me crazy and impatient. While I'm sure the impression I've often given is one of absolute patience and kindness (and I have maintained this external illusion thus far here on Fantasy Island), I may start to lose it pretty soon.

Mr. Sophanne is experiencing some slight reaction with some of his food allergies and and is certain that his heart will likely explode any minute in a way that only a man with some discomfort can be.

This left me large and in charge for about 3 hours this morning. While I know I should be the good and patient wife, I struggle. I forced him out of bed this morning and said "It's nine o'clock." He seemed distressed that I was more concerned with the time than with the pain in his side (NOT near his heart.)

He has now decided to push his way through the pain and I've got a little down time as they are adventuring in the car. If there is something seriously wrong, I'll have this post to make me feel guilty for the rest of my life. If not, then I'm guessing many of you know exactly where I'm coming from in the Mars/Venus world.

4 comments:

Lydee said...

that's why 'daddy & daughter dates' are not overrated here at my house.

here's to mr. sophanne feeling better. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you realize that EVERY MOTHER ON THE PLANET has those same feelings sometimes. Not all admit to them, but they are there. Fer sher. At least you did not act on them, say, with a wire coat hanger. Did you? ;-)

Cindy said...

And, are we getting a tad closer to flight time?

Yarnhog said...

I was coming downstairs one time and heard my then-teenaged stepson humming the "Darth Vader" theme in my honor. We all get a tad...ah...impatient with our kids at times.

And yes, I know exactly what you mean about men with minor discomfort. Although there was that one time when the headache he wouldn't stop whining about turned out to be meningitis. He got to whine at will for years after that.