Saturday, July 18, 2009

Issaquiet in Issaquah

We've left the beach house and 3 of the 5 youngun's behind. We're now at son and DIL's house. I am decompressing. I imagine they are too.

There is a distinct difference between parenting techniques between the two families. There are advantages to both but I'm glad we're ending our visit in this quieter place. Any more whining crying meltdowns and I was pretty sure I would throttle someone.

Two nights here- and some quality time with Walter Longfellow the dog- part retreiver part Great Dane- what a mix! Head like a lab- body like a Dane- ball chasing skillz of the lab- relative stoicism of the Dane. He's a most peculiar pup.

I am beginning to return to my own body.

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

My husband and I have a technique for dealing with whining, crying, and bickering in the car. We sing. Loudly, and badly. Until the kids shut up. They hate it, but they have no idea how many times it's saved their little necks.

Anonymous said...

Heh. We used to whine back at the kids. That shut 'em up.

And then there was time they were bickering in the back seat, and instead of saying anything (again), Smokey pulled over by the side of the road and we just sat there until they noticed.

But dealing with OPC (Other People'2 Children) is never as clear-cut as dealing with your own. I'm glad you are decompressing now.

Anonymous said...

glad you are winding down. I usually whine back at my kids. Oh and for the car fighting, I blast the radio as loud as it goes for a couple of seconds. Shuts them up fast! ;-)