Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day Two Spring Break



Yesterday went as described except for I managed to finish this long lingering ufo Cable Shell by Farmhouse Yarns out of a 75% cotton 25% rayon blend called "Allergic to Wool" (which I'm not but I liked the color.) It was a very easy knit and is a pretty good fit. Mr. Sophanne came home and took us for a walk and ice cream at the DQ. There are things you can do with a dog that you would look silly doing without one. Walking on a playground and eating ice cream from the back of the SUV in the cold are two of them.

Today's to do list-

Vet
Park
Grocery Store
Taxes
AAA

One would think the taxes would be something to dread but Mr. Sophanne found an error in the deductions of our local taxes and there's a windfall on the way (we may end up with matching furniture after all if we can find a way to get it from Big Lots to our house!)

Going to AAA is in preparation for an adventure if I don't chicken out. Pittsburgh's public transport train (The T) has a station in South Hills Village (a place I know how to get to.) I've been wanting to be in Pittsburgh (as opposed to just around it) but am not the most confident city driver. However, I do excel at public transportation involving trains. A little bit though I don't really know where to go once I get on said train so if your from Pgh and have some thoughts- put them out there (if you have thoughts on where NOT to go- they would be welcomed as well.) I'll do some research at knit night tonight. The adventure is on Wednesday so if you don't hear from me after that, likely I didn't get any advice on where not to go. I will listen to the news today and stay away from any areas where there have been shootings reported.

ETA I've been tagged twice for the book meme and haven't had a chance to bring the book from the bedside to the computer. Fortunately Paknitwit is reading the same thing!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could help with the furniture transport (Tim has a full-size pickup, as opposed to my mini pickup).

Nice work on the vest! Enjoy your day!

Lydee said...

Sounds like an adventure! Can't wait to hear about it.

Buying matching furniture was a huge deal at our house after years of hand-me-downs. Congrats to you! It will be great!

That reminds me, I need to pay our local taxes this week, blah!

Laurie said...

Oh, I wish I could help but I
acknowledge your thoughts on "where not to go". Very important detail. Have fun, take photos, and we *will* be hearing a full account of your adventure when you return!

Anonymous said...

Take the T to Station Square and get to the Duquesne Incline, go to the top of Mt. Washington. Must do. Lots of photo ops. Wander through Station Square, lots of little restaurants/shops/etc. Get back on the T, go to Steel Tower stop (USX, Mellon, I can't remember the true name of it) - lots to see there on Grant Street, especially if you wander down toward the city county building and the courthouse.

Other than those 2 things, I'm public transpo challenged. My first ride on the T scared me to death.

Kim said...

I want to be on vacation! Good luck with the public transport and have fun! The vest is lovely and I dig the green.

Yarnhog said...

One of the surprise benefits to having kids is the stuff I can do in public that you wouldn't be caught dead doing otherwise. When they were babies, I thought nothing of dancing and singing my way through stores with a baby strapped to my chest. (Now they kind of object to my dancing and singing anywhere.) Pets work, too. When I lived in Russia, I used to talk to my dog all the time. The spies assigned to my house used to look at me really strangely. I don't know if they thought I was talking to myself, or just thought it was weird that I consulted my dog about what to wear and where to put the furniture.

Debbie D said...

Um, can he do our taxes? We'd love a windfall!

cpurl17 said...

Have a wonderul adventure!

I don't have a dog or kids but still like that silly ice cream part.

janna said...

I know nothing about Pgh, but I hope you have a fine and fun adventure!