Monday, July 02, 2007

WIP (s)

Before blogging I didn't realize that "WIP" could be so easily pluralized. Stash fit in one plastic bin. Project plans could be listed on one hand. I didn't need interchangeable needles- I always had enough.

Thanks to the power of the internets, wip has become wips. I have two sets of interchangeable needles and the number of plastic bins has been multiplied by 4.

Worse still, Goosepond sent me an email that said I could get a spinning wheel for a mere $600.




Top left- a hopefully big comfy sweater designed with Sweater Wizard 3.0 and using handspun (I'm calling it Frosted Blueberries) from the Sheep and Fiber Festival.

In the middle- my first attempt at stranded knitting. The yarn (Berroco Ultra Alpaca) is not "light" as the pattern called for, the stranding gets better as it goes, it will likely be a felt bag (which I'm calling Box of Hair 5.0) A much lovelier version of this can be found at Erin's site.

To the right- First attempt as something other than stockinette socks. It's Regia. This "more than stockinette" sock knitting goes a little slower but I can feel that it's going to be worth it.

I'm in over my head on all counts but you can't just keep knitting scarves.

8 comments:

Haley said...

good for you for branching out. you're building your knitting skills and having fun doing it. i'm impressed with all your lovely projects. can't wait to see them when they are finished.

Yarnhog said...

Yup. When I was learning to ski (about a million years ago), my instructor told me, "If you're not falling down, you're not trying hard enough." I've found it applies to absolutely everything in life, including knitting--and I have the scars to prove it! The great thing about knitting is, falling down doesn't necessitate a trip to the emergency room, and nobody has to know. (Except us, of course, but we're an easy room.)

Anonymous said...

Challenging yourself is all well and good, but I hope one of those WIPs is comfort knitting. You know, the kind that you can knit without looking, that you can knit whilst having an adult beverage and yakking with friends, the kind that doesn't actually require a brain. You need a little of that when the stranding is too hard, the non-stockinette sock is too hard, etc.

Anonymous said...

The stranding looks good! I like the contrasting colors - they're much lovlier. Are you sure you can stomach felting it?

sophanne said...

The Frosted Blueberry sweater is comfort knitting for sure. All stockinette in the roung for about 8 more inches!

As for felting the bag- the camera was kind to it. There are all kinds of bumpy lumps in it- I'll block it first and see what size/texture I get but once again- what's the use of a bag that is so loose? I'll either have to frame it or felt it! : )

Lydee said...

I like the sock's and Erin's stag bag. That's so cool.

Lydee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olga said...

Don't fret if the felting or anything else goes bad for you. I save up all my 'failures' and do a post on them in Jan. It's good for a giggle.