Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Spin City-The Final Chapter

On the up-side, there is some vacation money left over. GHB and I decided to take it and split it. There's a sale at my new favorite LYS but for now I'd like to think I'll save it for a while and make sensible purchases (as opposed to the spinning wheel at Goosepond Or every single sale book at Knit Picks) I could probably rationalize the wheel into feeling like a "sensible purchase" with enough how-to's from the internet. The fact that I've never really spun a strand of wool makes it tough though.

So yesterday and this morning I spent the day helping move a law library down 13 steps for my retiring uncle. He has been an attorney in his downtown office for 50 years. He moved his practice home and will not take any new clients. I arrived at the tail end of the move-when they could move no more.

It gives pause for thought when considering the purchase of those knitting books. Somebody, someday is going to have to move them.

Here's a little yarn pron from the Saturday visit to the LYS. It's Cascades-Nikki-artichoke. You'll NEVER guess what it's going to be... Can you say Postal Bag v. 6.0? I feel good about this one and have about 11 inches of 20" done of the main bag. The goal is monogamy and finished by Friday. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

sophanne said...

I KNEW I shouldn't have found the knitpicks site to link to. I accidentally got both Elizabeth Zimmerman books that I didn't have and a set of Options needles. Not only that, I paid for 2 day shipping! I'm thinking if I had ordered the wheel, THEN I could be considered compulsive, yes?

Anonymous said...

I was looking at the EZ books too...

Hey what ever happened to Postal Bag no. 5? did you felt it?

sophanne said...

...and also a drop spindle, some fiber and some directions from One Planet One Yarn (It's still not the wheel, right?)

v. 5 is is on vacation. The stranded knitting became a little too intense for my brain at the moment. I'm going to believe what others say about multiple projects and hope that I can pick it up again.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, yeah! A new felted postal bag! Let the hilarity ensue!

I'm also trying to justify the purchase of a spinning wheel, which I really, really want, even though I've never tried spinning and there does not appear to be anyone in town who can teach me. My only hesitation is that I've been told several times that you really have to try out different wheels to see which one works for you, and that doesn't appear to be an option, since there is no "Wheels R Us" around here. I'm seriously considering just picking one that looks pretty (and costs less than a car)and figuring it out. Maybe we can be each other's bad influence? I'll buy one if you do?

sophanne said...

Yarnhog- you are DANGEROUS.

After dropping $75 on the spindle and books and fiber and $100 on EZ books and Options needles, I'm more in the range of "I'll save for one if you do." I might be ready in about 2-3 months.

I'd definitely encourage you purchasing a drop spindle though so we can share what I believe might be that fiasco together!

Click here to see one similar to the one I got. Lis emailed and said there were instructions that came with it. If you buy just a spindle, for an extra $3.50 they'll send you some practice roving but I figured I'd go big... as if.

They took off the one I just purchased it was black and white roving. Must have been the last one.

sophanne said...

WheelsRUs HA!

Lydee said...

Dear Friend, you are talking to the queen of compulsive shoppers. I can justify anything (like a new sewing machine, or how 'bout a tenor recorder? Or hundreds of dollars worth of books that I'll be taking home with me the end of this week.

The difference is you stick to a budget and can guilt me into doing the same.

I see flylady's been working in your head with the whole book moving images.

My aunt spins and my mother weaves, would it be too weird if we would all get together?

Lauren Barnett said...

thanks so much! i actually work for a publishing company and im doing my best to get them to look at my stuff....i'll keep you "posted" (sorry, awful pun.)

-lauren

Anonymous said...

Love the colors of that Cascade! I am constantly giving books away to people (not knitting books!) so I can keep it down to a mangeable number. There is no room for another bookcase. My rule is, if I bring a new book home, I have to get rid of one.

sophanne said...

While looking at the pattern in knitting for peace (as if I didn't already have those pages memorized) I realized that it is not supposed to be a Postal Bag. It's supposed to be a Messenger Bag. That explains EVERYTHING! (including that I must have been in the bathroom when it was time to learn to read for details)

Anonymous said...

I could get very carried away with almost everyone on the knitpicks website!!