Monday, July 23, 2007

Am I knitting, Grandmother?


Lest you think I've invented a new stitch pattern, I must explain that this piece of swatch was put together by husband's grandson-age 5- we'll call him NW and if anyone figures out what those letters stand for-2 points for you. He asked me to take it home so that I could show all of the kids at school what a kid who was 5 could do.

Last summer he had some yarn and needles and not quite enough patience and we decided that he knit Italian Style because it looked like spaghetti. Eager to go at it again during our Thanksgiving visit, we deemed him the loosey goosey knitter. This last visit showed great improvement and his patience earned him some wool. (not that he consciously new the difference)

This is a child who, when not knitting, can be very impatient, demanding, and yes, in the way only an age 5-middle child can be, whiny.

When knitting, he transforms into a charmed angel, able to sit still for at least an hour and a half, requesting only the occasional reminder at how much better he's gotten with the question, "Am I knitting???"

We won't go into my own personal trauma associated with that as he called me "grandmother" for the first time.

Early in my training, when asked to write my philosophy of music education, I was told that it needed to include a rationale based on things that ONLY music education could offer. (e.g. self-discipline-pride in a job well done were too vague and could be found on a sports field as well as the band room.)

So what I wonder is, given the amazing effect that knitting has had on NW, what words could justify a "knitting curriculum" (or better still- a fiber arts curriculum that might include weaving, dyeing, spinning, crochet) in an elementary school.

I realize that this is but a wild fantasy, as no standardized test could ever really measure it in any significant way, no college entrance application is ever going to ask about it, and employers (unless fellow knitters) couldn't care less.

It's at this point in a post where I would usually toss my 2 cents in and offer up my thoughts but I can't quite find the words and maybe it's something that can only be passed down from one person to another (as opposed to group instruction.) That being the case, I'll throw it out there and see what my brilliant blog friends think.

7 comments:

MelissaKnits said...

We're Omie and Opie instead of anything "grand". My sister-in-law titled us - she lives in Germany. Said we were too young to be G-rents. I find Omie and Opie soothing.

First grandchild is my husband's. The one coming in December is mine. Weird year. Turn 40, write a book, become a ... an Omie (again).

Yarnhog said...

Actually, I think it's the Waldorf schools that teach knitting as an integral part of the curriculum (but don't quote me, since it could be a different school). I am sure, though, that there is a school that uses knitting as an important part of its teaching.

NW? "No Way? As in "No way I'm pregnant again!" I always figured if we had another kid, we'd just name it "Oops."

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome that he's knitting so young. A future knitblogger perhaps? His wee swatch looks like lace!

Haley said...

tell NW to keep up the good work! i don't know if you read Fricknits, but Julie is a teacher and she teaches her students to knit as part of an afterschool club. she shows their work sometimes on her blog and it's quite impressive.

Lydee said...

Grandmother?! GRANDMOTHER?! I know you've been married for a few years now, and I know that there are grankids, but I still cannot get my mind wrapped around the association between the word grandmother and you, my friend. I cannot imagine what went through your head.

You've got me thinking, again. I would like to observe the relationship between the little one and the knitting process. Tactile and sensory touch come to mind. Also, proving that one's self can "do it".

Okay, that's all my thinking for tonight. Writing a melodic canon, and it's not going well.

sophanne said...

Waldorf does knit but they wait until their in what they call "1st grade" so he hasn't gotten to it. Since knitting at school, big sister has taken less to knitting than he has- maybe because she can "already do it." Maybe he like it because he's ahead of the game.

NW= Notorious whiner!

Anonymous said...

Fine motor skills would certainly be developed, and it would happen in a way that encouraged creativity. Good stuff, in my mind.