Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Nothing left to spin.

Not so much to report but I do like the feeling of blogging daily-here goes.

Nearly all of the day was spent assembling a dvd slide show of "Spin City." Some well-cropped pictures and IZ singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World can put the spin on anything. GHB teared up throughout and while he's not the King of Receiving Acts of Kindness, I did hear him watch and listen to it several times after the initial presentation.

One thing it's hard to put the spin on is poor service at restaurants. We found a new one- had incredible food and service yesterday-went back today and had incredible food.

I'm thinking I need to try out waitressing next summer. I know that it's harder than it looks-I always tip because I know its a thankless job. But it seems to me one of the tricks is to keep more than one thought in your head at a time and I'm pretty sure I can do that. I'd just worry every minute about spilling food and beverages on people.

Also spin on knitters and technology- ADD Knitter brought this techcrunch article about knitting and Ravelry to the attention of bloggers and I've been tracking the comments-something like 109 so far. I finally put in for the invite (what marketing they have) and I only have to wait until 17,000 others are in. I'm not a joiner but the technocrunch article put me over the top. The ridiculous art of knitting? Please- as many commenters point out- and video gaming is so much more sensible.

6 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I worked as a waitress in a retirement home dining room one summer when I was a teenager. (It was a ritzy retirement home, so yeah, they had waitresses. We had to wear candystriper dresses and nursing shoes.) I figured out then that I wasn't cut out for waiting tables. Those trays are really heavy, and I never could get the hang of carrying them in one hand over my head. That would have been disastrous, in fact. Instead, I carried them around in front of me, bouncing against my belly, which annoyed my boss to no end. But the real problem was that I found the residents so interesting, and their stories so fascinating, that I constantly found myself standing next to the table, caught up in what they were saying and forgetting what I was supposed to be doing. They never minded (they loved me because I listened to them), but again, it drove my boss crazy. At least I never spilled anything on anyone.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I read that blogger's post about Ravelry and pretty much immediately shut it down. I've been working with men in the Web industry since the beginning, and this is just typical techy childishness. One read of the author's bio says it all. This is why I don't want to work in the industry anymore. I won't say anymore b/c "childish" is about the nicest I can be. heh

Oh the stories I could tell. '

Very glad to hear you got on the list! I can't speak with any authority, but I think they'll let me more people in once they have a real server. I notice a difference form when I log in in the morning my time and if I happen to have a peak before I go to bed.

Anonymous said...

I tried waitressing and found I am not a people person, or at least a person who can stand annoying demanidng people and being called "honey" by strangers. While that type of customer was the minority, it soured me on waitressing. I moved into the kitchen and cooked, which is more fun and you can eat and curse while you work. If you get the right shift at the right restaurant, wiatressing can definitely be worth a try. I read the tech crunch article and the author is an ass. "for some ridiculous reason" knitting is popular. Then later in the comments he asks whether most knitters are women and hopes for "sparks" to fly. Hopefully, the crazy popularity of Ravelry will be a lesson to the techy muggles.

Faith said...

Ooh I've been listening to that version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow for the past week straight! Must be something cosmic going on.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes who knew technerds could be SO ANNOYING!!

Anonymous said...

I heard Izz singing that on our public radio station a few years back and had to track down the CD. Wonderful!