Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Preparation, Trepidation, Anticipation and Resolution

Packing Preparation

Why is it, when traveling, one feels as though one must be prepared for everything? It's certainly not the case in daily life at home.

I am determined to fit the upcoming 10-day excursion into a 27" bag. Perhaps that is what makes it seem so daunting. Oh, I've used the 36" and 48" luggage before-only to find that I've taken MUCH more than I could ever need. During our trip to Maine last summer, husband and I actually Fed Ex'ed a large box of clothing home because it was too much to carry.

On this go round we will be staying primarily with family. They have washing machines. If I were to take what I wear in a week at home it would very easily fit into a 27" bag with room to spare.

Travel Trepidation

What projects can I take on the plane with me? Do the baggage handlers understand the emotional attachment to the fibers and projects I will be forced to entrust to them? Is there something wrong with me for feeling so attached to various bits of yarn? Given the recent events in Scottland and Britian, I dare not try to bring any sort of metal needle on the plane and yet, how whacked is that? What about stitch holders? Will they look like weapons?

Anxiety Anticipation

What if I hate the clothes I'm wearing? What if I lose valuable knitting time enjoying the company of others? What if I drop a stitch and don't have a crochet hook? What if they make me throw away my #2 sock needles just as we go through security? What if (because of a rude and pushy conductor) one of my shoes falls into the train tracks (as it did in NYC) and I didn't bring any others? Yes, I was Deedle Deedle Dumpling in Penn Station. Not so much fun. What if I can't find a computer to blog on? What if there's not enough light?

Resigned Resolution

I write this now as an oath-shared with all of you who have known me so intimately for so very long (heh heh.) I will be traveling with my 27" bag, a backpack full of yarn and a "purse" of sorts. The computer is not going with me. I'm not bringing every article of clothing that I own. I may even only bring ONE pair of shoes. What will be will be and if anything horrible should happen, I'll get lots of sympathy.

On a postivite note- at least knitting has replaced reading in my leisure time. That backpack is going to be a lot lighter than it used to be when I had to decide which books I would "need."

12 comments:

sunshine said...

Since I haven't gotten an email from you in days......... have fun!!!!! I will miss your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

There was a time that I traveled so much for work and for other things that I could pack in minutes. I basically kept a separate toiletries bag ready to go. These days, it's a near crisis event. I've carried wooden needles with no problems, but you never know. I've heard suggested that you bring a mailing envelope with you to the airport addressed to your house, so if they don't want to let you through with your knitting you can at least send it back to yourself.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Have fun, cn't wait to hear how the trip went when you get back!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I've done that fedexing luggage thing before--expensive but so totally worth it. Hope you're not leaving from the Pbgh airport as it stinks!! Have a great trip!

sophanne said...

I probably will get one of those SASE one rate priority mail envelopes just in case.

I remembered after I posted that one of the reasons we were so bogged down in Maine was because we visited the L.L. Bean outlet store- I don't feel so bad now.

We are leaving out of Pgh. I didn't have much trouble on the FL trip in June but I'm guessing it will be different this time around.

Perhaps I'll "self-blog" on paper and have plenty of daily posts when I return. As if I'll be able to keep away from all available computers!

sophanne said...

I probably will get one of those SASE one rate priority mail envelopes just in case.

I remembered after I posted that one of the reasons we were so bogged down in Maine was because we visited the L.L. Bean outlet store- I don't feel so bad now.

We are leaving out of Pgh. I didn't have much trouble on the FL trip in June but I'm guessing it will be different this time around.

Perhaps I'll "self-blog" on paper and have plenty of daily posts when I return. As if I'll be able to keep away from all available computers!

sophanne said...

I probably will get one of those SASE one rate priority mail envelopes just in case.

I remembered after I posted that one of the reasons we were so bogged down in Maine was because we visited the L.L. Bean outlet store- I don't feel so bad now.

We are leaving out of Pgh. I didn't have much trouble on the FL trip in June but I'm guessing it will be different this time around.

Perhaps I'll "self-blog" on paper and have plenty of daily posts when I return. As if I'll be able to keep away from all available computers!

Olga said...

Whaaaaat? Your leaving? But...but...you'll be gone then, and who will I read? Thats gonna leave a big hole in blog world....sniff.

Yarnhog said...

I figure, I always have a Visa card. That can fix most problems almost anywhere. Except for the loss of vital knitting equipment on a plane. They don't seem to realize I'm far more dangerous without my knitting than with it!

Quail Hill Knits said...

Have a great trip. I'll miss your blogs but will look forward to the return and lots of info. Enjoy your time away and happy knitting.

Lydee said...

Miss you, I can't believe you'll be able to keep from blogging. Loved this blog, it wraps up all the thoughts about traveling. you'll be getting back just as I'm getting ready to leave for Rochester.

I'm taking my laptop and plan on blogging, if it actually happens, well....planning on taking pics too! Need to buy a portable printer to print out my homework; my blessed mother bought Sibelius for me.

Good thoughts with you all the way.

Haley said...

hope you have a great trip. i second the wooden/bamboo knitting needles comment. i've traveled with plastic ones too. anyway, hope you found the right packing solution. i am forever overpacking unless i'm flying and then somehow i manage to fit everything into a tiny duffle bag.

oh, and i would just pack one pair of shoes. if you lose one, i'm sure you'll be able to find a shoe store in portland.