Saturday, January 20, 2018

Juicy Lucy

Ahh the weekend.  Zumba and grocery store this morning.  Adventures in juicing when I got home.

If a person really wanted to do what Joe does in Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, it would be a full time job.  When you weren’t exercising you'd be buying, and cutting vegetables and slowly feeding them through the juicer.  I think for now I may be a weekend juicer.  It’s a bit of a production. And yet there are scenes where he’s doing it from the back of his car.

The juicer (Omega for anyone who cares) cracks me the hell up because when it’s breaking down most foods it really just sounds like it’s chewing.  Which is also a litttle gross but I try not to think about it. 

The juice is best drunk immediately but preserves its goodness for 2-3 days.  After that it loses nutrients. Hence the full time job.

I made two full containers of the green.

I

Two full containers of the dark orange and one half container of the bright orange.


Let’s just say I drink these in lieu of breakfast, lunch and snacks this weekend.  By Sunday I will have consumed
An entire bunch of kale, 2 sweet potatoes, 8 stalks of celery, 4 pears, 3 cups of blueberries, w cucumbers, 2 oranges, 3 carrots, 6 apples, a lemon and some ginger root.  All of this is notably better than eating 12 pumpkin muffins all weekend.

The juicer removes the non soluble fiber and keeps the fiber and nutrients.  

The taste- the green one tastes like summertime when I was little.  Which is bright tangy and  just a little grassy.

The dark orange is mostly pear flavored with hints of berries.

The bright orange is hilarious. Carrots, oranges and ginger.  I was a little heavy handed with the ginger.  I'll know better next time. But it does taste like bright sunshine.

I have a friend at work who had the stomach band surgery.  She is struggling mentally with it all.  I feel like we are at good connecting points on our food journeys.   I’m about six months ahead of her in the changing of eating (and also no surgery.). That means I can share how the changes feel and how they’re worth it with her.  Also it gives me a reason to keep going when I really want a break.  We walked in circles in the school gym on Friday (which was great for me because up to this point I haven’t done much on Fridays.)and shared the week's struggles.  Including husbands who overindulge somewhat thoughtlessly (although it’s not fair to expect them to change just because you are) and regularly.

What a path I have chosen.  How surprised I am to be following it.


No comments: