Monday, March 19, 2012

Plus de fromage! Plus de fromage!

Just thought I'd start practicing one of my French phrases. More Cheese! More Cheese! "Fromage" was one of those French words that struck everyone in my junior high French class as hysterical.

It occurs to me that I have just enough French to know how much I don't know. I will not be able to understand a word but will be able to distract the unknowing by asking everyone to repeat what they said again and again. Repetez s'il vous plait. Maybe they will just think I'm hard of hearing.

I loved speaking French. I never ever ever thought I'd be in a place where I would get to speak it. Now that it seems I will be, I am inclined to go over the top and buy a Rosetta Stone series for my 10 days in Switzerland. Not practical.

Today after our anniversary dinner I greeted the dog "Mon chien, mon chien!"

Being that I am the person who believes that she can automatically understand every language ever spoken if I just listen closely enough, it will be both immensely frustrating and also hysterical.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to have so much fun! Please take lots of pictures to share!!!

LisaBe said...

do not buy rosetta stone for your switzerland trip! i learned only AFTER buying it that the parts of switzerland near the matterhorn speak swiss-german, not high german, and it sounds completely different. your french won't do you any good around there either. :( many people speak english. the most difficult thing for us was the train maps and schedules, which a guide book could probably help you with.

roxie said...

You are going to have such fun!