Saturday, October 02, 2010

Sharpie Surprise



This is where I've been. There are ends to be sewn in. Not a million of them because I did many of them along the way. There are dropped stitches to be tied in (it's all I can figure to do short of taking it apart.) When I caught the first dropped stitch, I was most distressed as it was well beyond the point where I would run it back up. When I found the second one I thought "that sucks." When I found the third one I realized- there are a million damn stitches in this thing. Of course I dropped some.

I put together some Denise needles to accommodate the knitting that goes all the way round the mulberry bush. The last two nights were spent doing an EZ sewn bind off. (with needle go into first to stitches purl-wise. go into first stitch knit-wise and remove- sort of a one-needle kitchener) I missed the guess on how much yarn I would need but think I'll be able to make it all work.

There's enough yarn left for a matching stocking cap and mittens- I may add length to the sleeves once it's said and done- I may also give it a light spin in the dryer if it's too humongous.

While it wasn't difficult to do, I'm calling this my most recent adventure in "fearless knitting." With that many stitches, you had to be fearless to trust that it was all really going to work out!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I predict that you will smile every time you wear that sweater because it is SO HAPPY! Good work!

Yarnhog said...

Wow. That is an impressive bit of knitting. You know you can use a crochet hook to ladder the dropped stitches back up, right? Even if you've bound off, you could work them all the way up and then tie them off. (Sorry if this is obvious; I can't see the dropped stitches so I can't picture the problem.)

roxie said...

Fearless knitting indeed! The surprise sweater is an act of faith till it comes off the needles and is sewn up. Then it's a flat-out miracle! And the colors are SUCH fun.

Debbie D said...

Wow! That looks wonderful.