Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mittens and such.

The weather here in the land of Sophanne has been pretty delightful. Last weekend we went to Ohiopyle State Park. We took the dog and both bikes. The last time we tried biking with the dog, Mr. Sophanne took a little spill that required knee surgery so we took turns. Need proof? Here's the lovely Liza at the falls



and the always dashing Mr. Sophanne riding his bike-



In other House of Sophanne news- I am reading a Cesar Milan book and seem to be having some success. A trip to a local bike trail that involved the lovely Liza showing aggression towards a passing dog made the decision for me. I watched the show when Liza first came into our lives but the book has made the difference (Cesar's Way I think it's called.) I've had time to absorb the ideas rather than be amazed at the success. The girl and I have had several walks this week and she is at my side, not pulling me hither and yon. And I like walking her better so she gets to go farther. Win. Win.

I've heard that to discover what kind of winter we'll have, you should watch the animals. If I am any indication, it will be a winter of many mittens. I call this my Goldilocks collection. The first pair was too big. The second mitt was too small and the last three are just right. I'm pretending that the first three errors were my swatching for gauge. I'm using Ann Norling's basic mittens for four needles(rav link) I've got the numbers figured out for the perfect mitten and I'm going to knit enough of them so that I don't find myself mittenless as I did last winter. I'm using the Cascade leftover from the Brandon Mably workshop (sorry colorful Babette blanket the Two- you may not be finished after all.) Size 7 needles cast on 40 stitches and the thumb gusset directions are the easiest to memorize that I've found. (although the first pair shown are in Dream in Color worsted weight- I may go back and rework them just a little cozier)



Oh how I miss the days of endless summer blogging.

p.s. Do you not spontaneously weep every time you see that 7 year old Chilean boy greet his dad? It's like a Pavlov thing for me. So beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the mittens and lil Liza Jane. She's a good girl, she is. And, the Chilean rescue? I haven't really been able to watch. I miss the summer of endless blogging, too.

Mountain Mama said...

I cried just telling my MIL about it this morning.

JelliDonut said...

I stayed up half the night watching it all unfold. I don't like to be cavalier with the word 'miracle' but I don't know how else to describe it all.

Love all your mittens. I've made many dozen pairs of socks, but not one single mitten. Mitts, yes, but no mittens. I need to rectify this!

Sunshine said...

All night, all day on the computer. Just watching families reunite was the best part of my day!