Friday, April 16, 2010

thanks after hours clinic

I got the zpak and had an extra unplanned day off. After about 18 hours of sleep I'm compelled to share some stuff.

First - about my friend Chris- we are the same and the opposite so much that it is delightful.

This is Chris's workspace. Note the neatness of yarn, pattern, and pencil. She knows where stuff is at all times.



This is my workspace. The pattern is not to be seen- the strands of yarn in the distance are a part of my work area. There are no pencils or scissors anywhere in sight.


What you don't see is that we are both sitting on the floor rather than in the chairs provided. We can pretend it's for comfort or ease of getting at the yarn but I secretly believe it's the anti-social tendencies that we both share that sent us to the floor. Being a part of the chair conversations was just a little much perhaps.

I can't really tell you what Brandon Mabley taught but I can tell you that we all got better at playing with color and that is certainly not something I would have done before attending the workshop.



In this photo, his hand is on Chris' sample and mine is diagonal to the right.

He suffers fools lightly and it was interesting to see as needy women started whining for attention how he bluntly said what he thought. Go Him. I worked quietly and in the afternoon when I had a chance to say "what about this?", Brandon Mabley called me a "show off." So I think I passed the colored poppies exam. Words like Sassy and Daring and Snappy and Jewel-like were also heard. Come on Mr. Sophanne- we're moving to work at Kaffe Fassett studios. And if you don't want to go, Chris will because she got some pretty astounding compliments as well. I was so self-absorbed with my success, I failed to take note of the exact words he used with her.

If inclined to attend, you'll enjoy this workshop more if you already know how to trap stitches in Fair Isle and how to weave in ends as you go (there is a video of him demonstrating this somewhere on the internets). You don't have to know either of these things to play with color but if you have a chance to take the time and figure it out before you go, you won't be bogged down in strings and things.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I am so impressed with your swatch. Fabulous!!! Chris' was rockin'as well. Yay for zpacks. What would we do with them and urgent care clinics???

Carol said...

hooray for modern medecine and old fashioned sleeping in!

I think I am jealous. those swatches are lovely

Haley said...

love that you got to go play with color. hope that z pack works quickly. feel better soon!