Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's all relative

So I've made a giant design with some Kaffe Fassett patterns. It was going to be the back of a sweater but if I'm going to intarsia and fair isle at the same time with 4+ colors per row on occasion, it's not going to be hanging around on my back and I'm certainly NOT going to be trying to figure out sleeve decreases.

I've decided it will be a work of art worthy of hanging on the wall- or in the closet. 130 stitches by 109 rows. I can do one or two rows a night (the bottom of the chart is particularly complicated) as long as the phone doesn't ring and Mr. Sophanne isn't watching t.v. I foresee completing this sometime in 2012- hopefully before the end of the world as we know it.

The bonus of something so ridiculously impossible that may still end up looking like crap is that it makes that Brandywine shawl seem easy peasy and the malabrigo wool peddlers shawl feel like stockinette. It's all relative.

Brain A was defeated again this morning but didn't give up trying. I was dressed and drinking coffee and it said "hey you don't really have to go to the gym. It's not too late to go back to bed." Seriously? I might buy that if I'm still laying in bed but it's lame to try to pull that when I've already gotten up. Pathetic, brain a, simply pathetic. Liza Jane's been pulling a fast one on Brain A as well. She's been whimpering for walks around 7:00 pm each night and there's an extra .5 mile added to the daily count. No tangible results but it's better than feeling like crap for doing nothing.

In a crack me up moment- I have a friend in medical school who recently posted that getting a headache while studying neuroscience leads to all sorts of false diagnoses. I told her that such occurrences were endemic to becoming a professional in the world. I can't go past a farm animal without breaking into song.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Can't wait to see the new blanket/wall hanging. Brain A is sort of stupid, but compelling. And, I love that you can't pass a farm without breaking into song. Maybe it's because the more you know about a particular subject, the more instinctive it becomes?

Anne Campbell said...

Ooh, that sounds like fun! What kind of motifs did you end up using, or are you keeping it a secret? I love some of the Kaffe Fasset patterns, and you picked some of my favorite pages of the book to show earlier, so I'd love to hear what you ended up choosing.

I think you were quite right to reject it as the back of a sweater, though!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing some photos of your design.

Anonymous said...

I think if you are designing your own fair isle and intarsia patterns you need to bump yourself up to experienced knitter.

Yarnhog said...

I just snorted coffee over "I can't go past a farm animal without breaking into song"!

Not every knitting effort has to result in something useful or beautiful. Sometimes just the effort is worthwhile. Good luck!