Tuesday, April 27, 2010

my brains

At 9:00 last night my brain said "You could really use 2 or 3 macadamia nut cookies."

I had to ignore my brain.

At 5:00 this morning my brain said "Sleeping in with the cuddly dog is much better than the treadmill. You don't have to go."

I had to ignore my brain.

I want to know what it is that is doing this ignoring. Is my brain so smart it can ignore itself? What is this brain that wants me to become like a giant hog waiting for slaughter?

This fight with my brain- at least I know what's going on now and know that my brain (let's call it Brain A) isn't always right. Sometimes though, it is so very powerful.

In fact, early this morning Brain B started telling Brain A that it wasn't going to get a garlic/tomato/feta white pizza at knit night tonight no matter how hard it tried. Brain A, it seems is addicted to carbs and sweets. Small amounts do not satiate it. They only whet the appetite.

It's very possible that Brain A will concede defeat on the pizza, only to order 3-4 pastries at knit night or possibly stop for donuts on the way home. Brain A is a wily sort.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how to go about tricking Brain A?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how your gym going was going.
Brain B just has to be bossier and keep at it until Brain A becomes a smaller force. Like the turtle and the hare.

Mountain Mama said...

You'd better be careful or people will think you're hearing voices!

Cindy said...

No, but if you figure it out, let me know. K?

Sunshine said...

Good Question! My brain A won't let me exercise after work. It keeps telling me to go home to the comfy couch. Brain B is going to try to defeat it tonight. I did show brain A a picture of myself. That sort of did it!!

Beth Bradburn said...

Funny, I just wrote about something very like this. My thoughts: you have already successfully ignored Brain A twice today. (Congrats!) If you can predict that it's going to try again later, then you are already one step ahead of it. I bet you know all its strategies already. Don't try to trick it - just challenge it to trick you and maybe it will show you a new move. All you need is information.

Anonymous said...

You have triumphed over Brain A twice. Every time you triumph it become a teensy tiny bit easier. Keep it up.

Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. I have read and heard from multiple sources that it somehow does not make it to the brain to cause the full/satisfied feeling that signals us to stop eating. Foods with ordinary sugar (and fruit and protein and carb and veg and everything else) do signal the brain.

Yarnhog said...

Hang in there. No sage advice here. My own Brain A has Brain B in a chokehold that shows no signs of abating.

Carol said...

healthy sweets? I find a handfull of raisins or candy coated peanuts often does the trick