Saturday, January 30, 2010

FAIL. RIP. SUCCESS.

The first STR package- don't worry no spoilers here.

About me and Socks-

I'm a dpn girl all the way. I've tried circs. Hasn't happened yet. Melissa Oakes' book might get me there someday when the stars are aligned properly.

I've never done toe up socks.

I've never done anything but ribbed and plain socks-why bother with patterns I think-except if I'm paying the money for fancy sock patterns I feel obligated to give them a try.

Last night as I was trying to begin a toe up sock here are the things I did.

Cast on 11 stitches-joined them in the round. Knit the entire instep in a circle. Imagine my surprise when I read a little further and saw the chart for a toe SOLE and instructions that suggested I would do both instep and sole at the same time. FAIL.

RIP

Cast on 22 stitches, knit the toe instep and the toe sole in the round all the time wondering what I was going to do with the gaping hole in the toe. FAIL.


Read the instructions more and noticed "using your preferred toe up cast on" and not finding anything in the pattern about sewing the toe together, began to realize what that meant. FAIL.

RIP

All the while wondering if my size 1 bamboo needles were up to the challenge of my k2tog and s2k1psso. They are already a little warped from plain ole size one top down sock knitting. FAIL.

Looked to see if I had any metal size 1 dpns- SUCCESS!

Searched the internets for a dpn toe up cast on- SUCCESS!

This afternoon- when the cat is finished massaging my belly I will use the toe-up cast on I found as a tutorial, and try again.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Ha ha, this is pretty much my standard course of action when trying to knit socks. And that's why I don't knit socks. Good luck!

Carol said...

You will prevail! Eventually. That's how it works at my house anyways. The purse I am knitting has been tinked back ALOT in the first couple of rounds. It's my nature.

I have tried the magic loop, 2 circs and I still like dpns. for needles that small, metal dpns RAWK

Casa Pearl said...

Keep trying. It took me many tries to figure this out. I still tend to do cuff down but have bought Wendy's book filled with toe up designs hoping to become better at it. Eventually!