Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New M.O.

Lately I've been overwhelmed or underwhelmed by my limited LYS's. It used to be I would go in, pick the yarn I love the best, and find something to do with it later. Success is hit or miss with this method. It's time for a change. I love this book Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle. The patterns are not beyond my skills. Instead of picking the yarn, I've taken to picking the pattern, getting the called for yarn on-line and seeing how that works out.

So far I have started the Kilkenny Cable Shawl with some Black Water Abbey Yarn. It's a little bit scratchy but feels very Irish and also like it will get smoother in the wash. It's also the first Aran weight yarn I've worked with.

I have in my posession the yarn for the Highland Triangle Shawl- Woolpak N.Z 8 ply This is another yarn I've never had occasion to sample.

Finally I ordered enough emerald malabrigo to make the Wool Peddlar's Shawl. This isn't the called for yarn but I think it will work nicely.

It's really just a new way to increase the stash. I may follow the plan- knit the patterns I purchased wool for, etc etc. Then again... once it gets here maybe something else will come to mind.

All links are Ravelry

I spent yesterday at Aunt of Sophanne's. We drank a half a bottle of wine each and watched the 1972 version of The Poseidon Adventure. We had chicken salad with grapes for dinner along with plenty of pepperidge farm delicious cookies. It was a banquet and a delight.

Finally, all of the above seems so very shallow and meaningless given the despair in Haiti. I struggle to reconcile my blessed life with all of the pain and suffering on such a vast scale. Life here continues but certainly our psyche as a group of people on the planet is affected by knowing there is so much suffering and so much good to counteract it. We are lucky to be humans.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that book, too. Great patterns.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The LYS can be a fab resource, but there's nothing wrong with some Internet enhancement:)

Also: the image of Shelley Winters getting trapped in that porthole has scarred me for life and made me never want to ever take a cruise.

Cindy said...

Sounds like a lovely time. I like the new approach on the knitting. Keep us posted. And, as for Haiti? It boggles my mind. We are truly blessed.

Carol said...

I am really trying to knit down my stash. So, of course, while decluttering, I found another box with yarn. this is from my mother's house. Much of it is balled up, so no ball band. some of it is Italian yarn (lovely) but with no yardage or meterage....etc etc...what am I gonna do????

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're in a shawl phase! The Highland is definitely my favorite!

R a i n said...

This is a bit late but Happy 2010! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Good luck with the shawls.

Kim said...

Your new yarn picking method is a good one; as is the Folk Shawls book. The Poseiden Adventure scared the shit out of me when I saw it at the drive-in. I agree with heather that it made
me never want to go on a cruise.