Sunday, October 25, 2009

housewarming gift extraordinaire

It was a nice Steubyville getaway though I am so regularly torn. I need to spend a weekend at home with husband and dog but my heart just wants to keep going back.

While asking questions about Uncle's family I learned of a peculiar housewarming gift Aunt received from an in-law on his side.

A cousin's wife brought her a bag of wishbones- real wishbones-and told her that if she painted them gold they would make for nice name tag holders at the dinner table.

Picture the thank you card. Dear ---, Thank you so much for the lovely turkey wishbones.

Crack-ed Me Up.

Still knitting on the top down plain old sweater. Ready for some ribbing on the bottom and some sleeves. Crossing my fingers that the amount of yarn I have will equal the amount of yarn I need.

5 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Well, heck. Who saves wishbones? I wouldn't have wasted them on placecardholders. I'd have snapped those puppies in half and kept the bigger halves for myself.

craftivore said...

Ew, gross. How many poultry carcasses did that add up to I wonder?

Anonymous said...

couldn't we just like, um, I don't know, maybe knit place card holders instead of using bones? I guess it's the thought that counts...

Haley said...

my grandmother actually had christmas ornaments that were painted wishbones (chicken I believe). she also had all kinds of homemade ornaments made out of shells. my favorites (that i now have) are oyster shells with strawberry shortcake stickers on them. LOVE them! they're not her prettiest creations, but somehow they are just so perfect.

Mary Beth said...

Least the gifter could have done was paint them for the giftee.