Monday, May 18, 2009

What I've learned about lace knitting

Don't do it during PMS or the last 3 weeks of school. Start a nice Central Park Hoodie in Debbie Bliss Luxury Tweed Denim instead. Even if you won't get to wear it for another six months. Then there's no hurry to finish. Which means that you will finish it quickly.



I'd like to pretend I knit things more than once to fix the mistakes in the last one. Really I knit them more than once because I can be relatively sure that I'll be able to do it. So much for fearless knitting. I like the occasional safety of a pattern repeated.

I know no one will be able to see the tweedy cable but I like the yarn, it's my sweater and I'll knit what I want.

Meanwhile I just heard the tipple tipple of little mice feet in the ceiling tiles and don't know whether to inform Mr. Sophanne or not-recalling the spastic response the last time.

A short story for my teacher friends who follow:

I was invited to serve on a board of education committee to determine how to spend stimulus money. Sometimes these committees are for show- sometimes you feel as though you've got a voice. I like this superintendent so I decided it's worth a try. To attend the first meeting on time I would need to leave my far away school about 15 minutes before my actual finish time- thus shorting a classroom teacher of her full planning time. When I made what I thought would be the quick phone call to confirm this common courtesy, I got the cold shoulder. I emailed the principal to determine whether this really would be a problem. She told me she would instead pay for a 1/2 day sub to cover for me. FOR FIFTEEN FLIPPIN' MINUTES. I can recommend one way not to spend the stimulus money. I hate this time of year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! That, and... what are you going to do with the rest of the 1/2 day? Got any errands to run before the meeting?

Anonymous said...

Wow. 1/2 day sub for 15 minutes? That's money well spent. I think you are going to be a great addition to that committee!!

Yarnhog said...

I'm on the Superintendent's "Community Budget Advisory Board," which is code for "patsies I can point to when the community screams about the draconian cuts we have to make to accommodate the Governor's complete lack of any commitment to education." I envy you the opportunity to decide how to spend money, instead of how to do without it.

Haley said...

I LOVE the tweedy yarn. Your CPH is going to look lovely. I also repeat patterns for comfort knitting. Enjoy! And yes elementary schools are the craziest places ever in terms of making (or not making) logical decisions.

YawnOver said...

Your whole first paragraph has validated my entire being...

Love the denim tweed.

Carol said...

So, they [ay for a 1/2 day sub. What do you do for the half day? Is it a paid 1/2 day off?