Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Designer Bags- the truth shall set you free.

What's wrong with me? Don't I know that there are knitters in South Carolina that don't HAVE Namaste bags?

Given that MaryBeth so dedicatedly left three comments on the last post, I feel inclined to answer at least one of her questions.

Pictured below are my "designer knitting bags." Mind you, all of my clothes, shoes, underwear, etc comes from Gabriel Bros. (who now only puts the damaged stuff in the sidewalk sales -thanks KNQD who knows all) While I yearned for designer jeans through the 80's, Lee jeans were as close as I got. Clearly I am over-compensating.



Top right (black) is a Jordana Paige Bella and was the first "designer knit bag" I ever purchased. I was certain that once I had this bag I would never need another. Little did I know. It's a good bag for a little project. The zipper pouch inside works for purse items and keys. More of a "light duty-I have a crappy-ass meeting to go to" bag.

The black bag below that is the Namaste Messenger Bag. Of all bags purchased, I have used this one the least. I think that perhaps there is a certain amount of "breaking in" required to make it a comfortable bag. I took it to MDSW and ended up using instead the Joanne's "So much yarn, so little time." IKEA-like bag. I think if I were a commuter, this would be the bag to have. Large enough for a train/bus and the right size for a lap.

The turqoise one is a Namaste Jetsetter. This bag is an excellent knit night bag. It can carry several projects (though it gets a little chaotic if they're not in their own mini-bags) and one does feel like a "jetsetter" when traveling with it. The color is decidedly not me but this one was on sale (Joanne's again) and I couldn't pass it up. Ironically, right now it's carrying the Medallion Bag from Noni which is on the needles and if it's ever felted and finished I will consider my own handmade designer bag.

The prize of the collection is the Namaste clutch (BTW I would have called it a "clutch" yesterday but I couldn't think of the word and I knew that "snatch" wasn't it)and the Namaste Laguna. These will be the summer vacation on the train travel bags. For now, in my mind, I have found the perfect bag combination in colors that I love. I'll have 3 lace projects, some potential socks, the FLSweater, and the Montego Bay scarf in there as well as needles enough to cover any potential projects found while in the Northwest. One of the appealing aspects of this bag is the "vertical nature" of it without being "satchel"

Finally the cute little "leftover" on the left is a DellaQ Mary Ellen. This bag is deceptively convenient in that the handles are metal and "bracelet-like" and not as likely to become entangled in fiber.

As for the quantity of laceweight additurbo needles in sizes 6-9 that I have recently acquired, I am not ready to leave denial and will not be taking a personal inventory any time soon. Apparently I need them whether I need them or not. Perhaps in a former life I had to put all of my knitting on stitch holders and only had one set of needles.

And finally, as if you need any more proof as to the state of my mind, I leave you with this It is the actual reason I went to the LYS yesterday. They did not have this book. I went to amazon and realized that for $30 (total) I could have it in my hands today. (as opposed to waiting until the end of the week when I might not be here to get it for a mer $16.50) Someone help me. I need an intervention!

5 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Awesome, awesome bags! I especially like those Namaste ones. I don't have a knitting bag collection (although I do have and use all the KnitPicks ones everyday. Fashion maven I am not.). But you and I must be on the same wavelength, because I have two new bags on their way to me as I write, one small for everyday, and one large for travel. Neither is technically a knitting bag (they're both from Franklin Covey--the organizer people), but I bought them both with specific attention to their value for carrying knitting.

Anonymous said...

I started to giggle when I got to "I knew snatch wasn't it." I just totally lost it then. Thanks, I needed that.

Jennie said...

I so know what you mean. lol I'm kinda on a Lexie Barnes kick right now. It's so funny how much we're willing to pay for knitting accessories and then on the other hand are really price conscious of clothes and what not. hehe

Deborah-- said...

Awesome bag collection! Can't have too many, especially with all the knitting we knitter's do.

Mary Beth said...

I snorted my wine & about fell off my chair when I saw this post. (I am a bit behind since I have company here.) I am willing to come & help with an immediate intervention, but it will definately cost you the namaste clutch & laguna bag. This namaste-less SC girl is as green as them there bags with desire. I too lol at the snatch comment. I truly lust after designer stuff, but keep my feet planted firmly & don't buy any. My dd got a Coach purse from my sis Kathy for her b-day. She is the only one to own a designer bag of any sort in this SC house. I think I might have to hate you right now. No. Never mind. I can't help but like you still. You make me almost famous with your personal dedication of this post to me.