Sunday, July 27, 2008

Adventures with KnitNat

Yvonne and I went adventuring yesterday.

We went to Knit One in search of Koigu for the Traveling Scarf Project. As their stock is as unpredictable as the thermometer in my oven, we didn't find any. They sent it to their new Cranberry store which doesn't open for another month. With a marginally courteous staff and a mission, we ventured on.

Impatient Drivers reigned supreme through Squirrel Hill as well as yarmulkes (one had a smiley face on it)

We took a quick drive through the Strip District with plans to return in the future with coolers in hand. I think Yvonne will need the cooler- what do I know about fresh fish and meat? If I can't eat it there, chances are it won't happen.

We survived an inadvertent ride through the Hill District(p. 14)

We found our way to Sewickley but not before a stop at The Breadworks -oh the financial damage they could do if they only sold butter!

The Mexican War Streets Historic District is explained here. Contrary to what we were conjecturing, the Mexican War did not travel up to the Burg.

In Sewickley, it was mission accomplished at Yarns Unlimited. Plenty of Koigu and a rearranged store made for some spacious shopping (one of my complaints in the past)

I like adventuring with Yvonne. She's a gracious chauffeur and I'm getting my "city legs." We were two easy-going knitters taking in the sights. (including the guy in the pink spandex leggings- you'll have to figure out which district we saw that in!) When in search of delicious yarn, it is so much better to have a friend to share it with and say "hey lookit this!"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good now I know where to get Koigu for the rest of the traveling scarf. I was wondering who had it around here.

LisaBe said...

yarns unlimited is a great shop. and sewickley seems like a great place to spend an afternoon window shopping, too. i agree about the co-knitter-enabler companion thing. i have one and always have more fun when we're together.

LisaBe said...

yarns unlimited is a great shop. and sewickley seems like a great place to spend an afternoon window shopping, too. i agree about the co-knitter-enabler companion thing. i have one and always have more fun when we're together.

Yvonne said...

Hey, Lisabee has an echo!!! Heehee.
I had a BLAST traveling around with you yesterday. You'll need a cooler in the strip district -- who says you need to buy fish? You can buy cheese! You can handle cheese. And you can always handle more bread. (I gave the ciabatta to Charissa with her gallon o'soup today, so we have only the baby sourdoughs and the rustic Italian left. Plus I was inspired to make bread, so yesterday I bought fresh yeast and more flour. Look out, hips & thighs.)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! List the LYS's in da Burgh for me as we will be there most of next week for Kennywood! WOO HOO I love that place! Anyway I am gonna go out on a limb and say that the pink spandex guy was in the strip....If you made your way over to the South Side, that would be my top choice. I really don't see anyone residing on the Hill or the War streets too long in pink spandex.....

Deborah-- said...

Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun together! Lots of adventuring. It's awesome being with a fellow-knitter to share the "Hey Look At This!", moments. Hmmm wonder what you needed Koigu for? LOL

Kim said...

Sounds like a great fun day. I am envious that youse guys got to drive around having fun and looking for yarn. Glad you didn't get a cap in yo ass in the Hill District.

Mary Beth said...

Hill District sounds scary. Pink spandex...oh my. I'd guess the strip district too. We have a wonderful lady named Paula at our lys who is the biggest enabler. She can't knit anything complicated herself (stoke caused from domestic abuse. What an inspiration she is.) So, she gets everyone else all excited about a yarn or project & "helps" you spend your dough.

Lydee said...

i'd guess the strip too, or squirrel hill. we used to buy the best bagels there when I was little.

sounds like an adventure!

Lydee said...

my friend took me to a jazz club in the hill district. we were all of 20 years of age at the time. I'm not even sure why they let us in. we were the only 2 white chicks there. we ended up sharing a table with people much older and sophisticated. I sat next to a well known channel 4 reporter and my friend sat next to a lady who was telling her man "I need 'everyday' diamonds, everret."

I was too shy to talk to the reporter. So we ate and listened to the fabulous music. It was fun.