Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Inspiration

So the knitalong book has been in my hands for less than 2 hours and I'm already inspired.

There is a project called the "traveling scarf." You knit with 2 strands of sock yarn (koigu is suggested-and given that it's one skein I'm assuming it's with a center pull ball using the outside and inside strand)) size 7 needles 44 stitches, sl 1, p2, *k2 p2* across when you finish the skein you send the scarf to the next knitter. After 7 people add to it, it's finished.

That's all well and good but then there's only one scarf (which I'm sure could be donated somewhere but not what I'm looking for right now)

My thoughts. Eight knitters. Each starts their traveling scarf and mails it to the next knitter on the list. When it comes back to you, your scarf is finished. Each knitter would knit the equivalent of a scarf but exciting colors and packages in the mail would be involved as well as a memento from your favorite knit bloggers. Small knitting gift/accessories could be included as scarves traveled from one person to the next.

They should be done just in time for cold weather. Leave a comment if you want to play and also email your snail mail address (blts ATT alltel Dotttt net) if I get 7 more people we'll do it. If there are extras in multiples of 8 I'll set up those addresses too.

My mom's family used to write letters this way- they called it a "Round Robin" Maybe it should be "Scarfin' around Robin" or "Scarface round Sophanne" or possibly send your own clever moniker for this possible "internets event."

I took it as a sign that the author is from Portland and listed no less than three cool places to sit and knit in Portland and in a matter of a week I will BE in Portland

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

I've done a round robin. Go see http://sticksadventures.wordpress.com for the final of the RR. We each chose a toy/animal. We didn't get to work on it but everybody else did. Oh, and I'm in for a Koigu scarf RR. That'll work.

Kim said...

Count me in! I've got plenty of Koigu ready to go. Do you have my mailing address? I don't know. I love the Knitalong book. The other day I was sitting on the toilet and (oops too much info) reading it and noticed the 3 cool places in Portland to knit & eat.

5elementknitr said...

I am SO in! What a fantastic idea!

sunshine said...

I'm the Mom, and I can't wait to see you in Portland!! Yippee!!

Me7of11 said...

I'll play, too!

Sonya said...

So OK, I thought I was of swaps for good. But for this, I think my will power will have to cave a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Tempting....

Deborah-- said...

Ooooo what an awesome idea. If carrie K isn't in, I am. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Me, too! Me, too!

Larissa said...

This is a great idea for the pattern. Thanks! And I'm so glad you'll be visiting Portland. Don't miss Abundant Yarn in Sellwood. Sadly Mabel's has closed. Abundant is where it's at. Let me know when you're coming.

Mary Beth said...

Scarfin' around Robin. Scarface round Sophanne. Bawahhahaha! Stop...It...Please!!! I wanna play too but you have 7 already it looks like. Have fun.