Thursday, June 05, 2008

Z is for Zimmerman (however predictable)

I've read various accounts of those knitting with Elizabeth Zimmerman. My opinion is that if you started with her guidance and it's all you knew, you'd be a knitting genius. If you learned about knitting stuff in the more traditional learn to knit, make a scarf, learn to purl, learn to read a pattern sort of way, she can be a little intimidating.

Yesterday's comment about finding a series you love and watching it on DVD called to mind my EZ videos and books. I did begin working on the EPS sweater. I am a little nervous about it all working out. I feel good at the start but clearly as you work your way up the sweater, things get a little more complicated.

I think one summer goal will be to work my way through the two dvd's- particularly the knitting glossary one. Who knows what I might learn.

June of Spinning, July of Lace with EZ sprinkled throughout.

I cast on another lace-like thing last night- the Rose Lace Stole (Ravelry link) from Vogue Knitting Shawls on the Go in some cobweb misti alpaca. Steps I have taken to overcome obstacles-

1. I swatched a little bit with worsted weight to become acquainted with the pattern.

2. When I swatched I only put in one of the pattern repeats to ease my confusion.

3. I read and will continue to read Romi's tutorials of late.

4. I realized the advantage of stitch markers when it comes to pattern repeats.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried a provisional cast-on. I think I've got it (I put the provisional yarn where the "long tail" woudl be and the "real yarn" over my forefinger. What I don't know is what happens when you try to take it out because I have never gotten past three rows that far.

Hey kidz- it's the end of the alphabet- I wish I had taken it more seriously at the first letter. I could have won another one of Ruth's contests. As it is I'm sure I'm disqualified for the entry "A is for Knit Night" as well as the two posts in between A and B. It was a fun endeavor. My entries weren't nearly as profound as others I have seen but at least it gave me a goal in coming up with titles.

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hooray for making it through the alphabet!!!

Kim said...

Don't worry about what to do with the provisional cast on waste yarn until you get there. It's easy. The best tutorial (for me anyway) is the one from Knit n Tonic.
I wish the hotel had a DVD player so we could've watched the EZ dvds.

Yarnhog said...

I was forced to do a provisional cast on last night for Sahara. It was a crocheted cast on, where you don't make a chain first, but instead crochet the stitches directly onto the needle. I haven't done that one before, and it was easier than the other (several) I've done. Which is a good thing, because I had to do it three times.

Anonymous said...

I've done a couple of provisional cast ons. Other than being slightly confused about the first/last stitch, they're pretty easy when you get there.

Yay! The girl without goals managed to come up with one for you! You're learning on your DVD fest though. I was thinking more of MI-5 or Feasting On Asphalt.

That stole is really gorgeous. Must not attempt that for my mother. Must start & finish one she has already approved.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, stitch markers are key in this case...