Friday, June 06, 2008

Chicken Bob or Maybe it's the heat. (cmus friday edition)


So I'm not going to say anything bad about our physical education teacher. He's not one of those cocky jock-types. He's not the kind and nurturing type (much anyway). He gives out more discipline slips than anyone else in the school. He was a substitute teacher for about 15 years before he got this job. Those of you with good line-in-between-reading skills probably have an accurate portrait.

He'll "do you a solid" when you need it and I don't hate working with him- even when he does explain the Marmaduke cartoon to us in the teacher's lounge presuming that because we didn't laugh when he read it to us that we didn't get it.

Today in the teacher's lounge two other colleagues were talking about a construction tractor that was stolen from a site nearby. They were discussing crime (of the rural sort) in general and comparing notes.

Mr. Gym inserted himself into the conversation at a paused moment and said, "It doesn't matter how many times I tell those teachers not to do it, they still let kids into the equipment room to get things for recess. I have things on my desk and my records in there. Now if someone would have asked I would have probably given it to him but when I came back on Thursday the rubber chicken that's been in there for years and years was missing."

me- "someone stole your rubber chicken?"

him (reflecting and a little doleful)- "yea."

I was kind of waiting for him to add "It was my favorite chicken."

At that point I had to leave. Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was the anticipation of the school year ending. Maybe you have to know him. Maybe you had to hear my internal dialogue, but I was about ready to spit out my food and eat some more and spit it out again from trying not to laugh.

I went directly to the office and said "We need to call Sheriff Dare. Mr. Gym's rubber chicken is missing." (insert secretary spitting food here.)

I made two signs for him (as if I had nothing better to do on the last day of school but really, mostly I didn't.) One was a Wanted poster with Colonel Sanders' picture and another was of a rubber chicken asking "Have you seen me?"

I went in to make sure they didn't make him mad (you never know) and I was laughing laughing but never really said at what. I figured he knew. He laughed heartily with me and then said, "you should go look in my office, someone put up a wanted sign for Colonel Sanders." I wonder what he thought I was laughing at.

Later that day he went to the secretary (in all serious and I'm not even kidding-I kind of wish I was) and asked her to announce over the intercom that if anyone has seen "Chicken Bob" to please return him to the equipment room. I give the end of the day announcements and did as was requested. It may have also been me clucking on the intercom after the kids left and calling "there he goes...."

10 comments:

Deborah-- said...

Oh my gosh! Hilarious. Poor guy. Maybe Chicken Bob got tired of the equipment room and ran away from home.

Anonymous said...

Oh the mental picture in my head right now! Poor Mr. "Gym"! Maybe he should walk around the school clucking like a chicken and he will find his companion! Too too funny!!!

Jenn said...

This is very strange, I just got off the phone with my parents and my mom told me that my dad has been wanting a rubber chicken and that he would probably love it as a Father's Day present. *cues Twilight Zone music*

Lydee said...

LOL! I am dying, that is so funny!

Now I'm trying to figure out who your P.E. teacher is.

I always wondered why they had those rubber chickens anyhow. An old PE teacher clued me in: she'd have her college students put the rubber chicken in their shorts, with it's neck and head flopping out of the top. Then they'd have to compete in a relay race with poor chicken bob flapping and waving to the world like nobody's buziness........

Lydee said...

guess you woulda had to have been there.......

Lydee said...

the thought of you clucking over the intercom............!

Carol said...

I suppose the rubber chicken in the cafeteria would not be an acceptable substitute, eh?

FairyGodKnitter said...

You're going to have to knit him one of these over the summer break-
http://www.alohamedia.net/sarah/hats/chicken-viking/

Tammy said...

Too funny! And sad... poor guy missing those crucial few cards that make a full deck.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious.

And also sad. Sad, sad, sad. To lose one's chicken when one has so little going for one.