Tuesday, June 17, 2008

oh yeah, it's summer vacation.

I'm trying not to embrace it too too much because as one blogger pointed out, it's only 90 days (more like 70 for us.)

The summer plan as I've set it this year involves a daily routine of doing one thing I don't like that makes our lives better (laundry dishes etc), one thing that Mr. Sophanne needs done so he won't be jealous of summer vacation, one thing for the dog and then knit. The details are not worth writing about but it's been pleasant thus far.

I've watched one episode of the Dog Whisperer and now delusionally confidently believe that I will be able to wean Liza of her little annoying habits (primarily the one where I am the chew toy-come to find it's the way pack mates play together. ) I'm going to work on being leader of the pack. The click training is awesome for teaching new things. This morning I bought a "choke" collar (I hate that name) to correct bad habits. She's a smart smart dog so if it doesn't work, it's not her who's to blame.

Part of the summer knitting includes making use of the many resources I have at home and perusing my knitting library. Last night I picked up Mindful Knitting by Tara Jon Manning.

It prompted some reflection on the "kinds" of knitting (insert your favorite fiber-related activity here) there are. I'm thinking it goes on beyond the standard process vs. product. Actually I think there are likely some subdivisions in the process category.

The book encourages mindful knitting; embracing each stitch, living in the now of each stitch and very likely as a result living more mindfully outside of the knitting space. I've gotten to that place maybe once while knitting.

Usually though I am "frantically knitting" (monkey mind knitting) hoping that mindfulness (and ease of mind) will magically appear. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

Compulsive knitting is one I do now and again. Knitting because I feel I have to. I have a slightly compulsive personality and have to keep this one in check every now and again. I can tell when I'm in that zone when I find myself pretending that I'm paying attention to some comment Mr. Sophanne has made about something on t.v.

Avoidance knitting occurs when there are things on my "must do" list that I don't want to do. This one has a partner called "Reward Knitting" which is what I do when I've actually accomplished something on the "must do" list.

Knit Night knitting has less to do with knitting than with the people I'm knitting with. It's also a good time to learn new stuff. Progress on any given project is less important than the forward progress of the community.

Having only given this idea an hour or so worth of thinking, I'm sure I'm missing some. What say you?

9 comments:

Cindy said...

I tend toward compulsive, as well. I try to pay attention to why I'm knitting, but mostly I have given myself permission to knit why, when, where, how, and for whatever reason. It's freeing. I don't want to analyze it too much because then I become too critical of myself. I hope this makes sense. There is a reason I don't teach (I understand, but cannot explain).

Anonymous said...

Compulsive here too---maybe borderline obsessive? I don't want to have anything "not on the needles" I have to force myself to do house work...my house is showing it's pain too. You truly have created a monster, but I highly doubt that this student will surpass the teacher anytime soon---long way to go! (I haven't touched the "sock" since I came home!!!)

Kim said...

Aint' the dog whisperer great? I love watching that show. Good luck. I can totaly relate to your frantic knitting, compulsive knitting, etc. I have Mindful Knitting but rarely achieve that state of blanked out bliss.

Jenn said...

Rufus used to be a demon when on a leash but we got him a halter and it's made a world of difference. If you don't want to try a choke collar, give a halter a try.

Yarnhog said...

Well, what do you call it when you haven't knitted for a while (like, three hours or more) and you pick up the needles and experience an almost overwhelming relief--like scratching a bad itch you haven't been able to get to? I do that sort of knitting a lot.

Anonymous said...

That's why I have a cat. So that I'm assured training is useless. ;)

Mindfulness. Why do I want to say I don't believe in it?

Mary Beth said...

I knit to knit. I have projects that I make just so I can whip it up, those to do when I really want to just yak, & those that are for the pleasure I really "understanding" this thing called knitting. That's the type of knitting where I always find my mind cleared & see problems solved. GO figure...I need a challenge to get my brain off worry, fret, etc. & onto solutions & peace.

Mary Beth said...

I knit to knit. I have projects that I make just so I can whip it up, those to do when I really want to just yak, & those that are for the pleasure I really "understanding" this thing called knitting. That's the type of knitting where I always find my mind cleared & see problems solved. GO figure...I need a challenge to get my brain off worry, fret, etc. & onto solutions & peace.

Carol said...

I'm not sure what category this puts me in, but I often need to be knitting. It's like an addiction. i feel lost without it. I can tell when I'm overtired because I DON'T want to knit then...