Thursday, February 28, 2019

Time travel

As per previous observations, being the patient is easier than accompanying the patient.  Five hours for him was five minutes for me. 

Last time I was out before I crossed the threshold of the door.  This time I stayed awake through the hallway and into the operating room but can’t really remember what it looked like.

At one point while waiting for the action to begin (delayed by an hour) I told greathusbandbob that “somebody’s junk must have gotten stuck.”  Only later did I discover that my own uterus was large and required extra effort to remove. And while I haven’t seen them yet, she told me ahead of time that she takes pictures of what she did.  I think it creeped greathusbandbob completely out but I can’t wait!

Dinner included broth, jello, frozen orange juice, and tea.  There was also a round of acid reflux thanks to the Percocet.

I guess I’ve never read things like this because most people are just too classy to talk about it.  Anesthesia apparently makes everything slow down/pause including urinating.  Nothing like the threat of a catheter to get those muscles moving. Getting to and fro independently was the second challenge to face. Disconnect anti-blood clot leg balloons and get that machine to stop beeping.  Take off oxygen, roll IV and oximeter into the bathroom, grab the t.p. with the left hand before sitting, then reverse when complete.  Except you’ve already spilled your cup of water while maneuvering the rolly pole so you clean it up on the way out while trying to avoid getting the compression socks wet (and not wanting to call for the male nurse because your gown is barely there)

The whole pain factor is odd.  Drugs make you feel invincible until you don’t.  Then there’s about a 15-30 minute window to replenish before things feel like they’re going to roll out of control.

Institutional eggs, pancakes and a sausage link never tasted so delicious- as did the cup of coffee.  It’s now a matter of making sure my body accepts and cooperates with the food I’ve eaten.  Signs point to yes which will mean a post lunch release.

1 comment:

kmkat said...

Be warned: it takes the gut longer to wake up than the rest of you. I doubt they will let you leave until you at least fart. (No classy here.)

Re: pain meds. After one of my surgeries, don't remember which one, there have been multiple, the night nurse didn't know to work the morphine pump, so I lay there in increasing pain -- for an hour! -- until she had the brains to call someone who did know. Grrr. Otherwise, the morphine pump is your friend.