Monday, February 04, 2019

Sometimes too much stress equals no stress

When the list of things to worry about gets overwhelming, they cancel each other out.

After a phone call last Friday I found out that tomorrow is just a consult- not the actual surgery.  Having already made all the plans for missing school and taking care of cousin and aunt, this news was most distressing.  An email to my doctor reassured me that the surgery can be scheduled quickly after the consult with the surgeon (she says they are flexible that way) so I'm hoping things roll according to some sort of manageable plan.

Although they likely won't because greathusbandbob's latest scan revealed a spot on his lungs as larger than before- not horrible but worthy of a biopsy.  In the last month he has lost two acquaintances to lung cancer so yet another opportunity to panic.  He is scheduled for this on Wednesday so it seems fate intervened when the surgery date was wrong but I was still off from school.

Aunt is still in rehab with major complaints of the food and minimal complaints of our "only weekly" visits.  Except she thinks we haven't been there in four weeks because she has lost complete track of time in general.  It seems that extended stays in hospitals and UTI infections will do that.

I walked my non-music teacher (she is a former pre-k teacher) sub through the routines this morning. She looked more than a little overwhelmed- especially with her two young children begging to teach her how to play the instruments.

I tried to feel guilty about having days off when I am not surgically impaired but that hat didn't fit either.  Women take weeks off to have a baby all the time.  Having never done that, I have enough days and the pile of stress is high enough to warrant some days off. I'm calling it a sabbatical.

Except if the WV senate passes its omnibus education bill turning everything into charter schools we will likely have another work stoppage, so there's that.  The politicians are seeking revenge on the teachers for our power move last year. It's quite ugly.  The big threat this time is no pay if there is a work stoppage (an actual strike). Which, I guess is better than the threat Oklahoma state legislatures made which is to revoke the license of any teacher who participates in a work stoppage.

At some point, there's just too much to worry about and no use in doing so anyway. Woman cannot live on xanax alone.  So there is coloring.


and waiting to do.

2 comments:

kmkat said...

Let me know if you adopt that multi-colored dog. I want to meet it/him/her!

sunshine said...

Let me know what I can do!