Sunday, July 15, 2018

One More Thing

I thought maybe  it was the 2 1/2 hour car ride that made me a little more impatient. I was third in line at the bakery knowing exactly what I needed.  She was in her late 70’s with red dyed hair, a vibrantly colored flowered shirt and a walking stick.  She asked questions about Every Single Menu Item.  Then placed her order-she wanted the small one for 280 instead of 7.99.  When told there was only one size, the difference between the calories column and the cost column had to be explained in detail with some disagreement as to whether a dollar sign should be placed before the cost of every item.

As this was happening I leaned forward to the exasperated couple in front of me and said I just spent 3 hours in a minivan with intermittently bickering teenagers and may or may not completely lose it at any moment. They said they had just arrived to the west coast after a 5 hour plane trip from Indianapolis.  I said “You win.”

The counter encounter continued.  Order near completion, she leaned over the bakery counter and said “I just have one more question and may want to order a pastry.”  The line has became 4 deep and the manager appeared from the back.  He started counting loaves of bread.  

The cashier reached for the ordered loaf of bread and the customer asks,

“Has that been out all day?”

“Yes.”

“You really should cover it.”

“Do you still want it?”

“Yes.”

The manager is now counting bagels. 

Return to the conversation with the plane passengers.

“We just returned from Victoria B.C. Canada.”  Realizing that my husband was in the car and I was standing alone I joked “me and my imaginary friend” and gestured toward the empty space next to me.

“Hi Bob,” said the traveler.

“That’s His Name!” And laughs helped the time pass as the customer figured out her Panera card.

Money and merchandise finally exchanged, there is a collective sigh of relief in the line.

She begins to step away from the counter and in true Colombo fashion says “one more thing....” (we all breathe deeply in anticipation of summoning just a little more patience.)... “Can you open this bottle for me.  I have arthritis.”

The travelers step forward and now, 25 minutes since I walked into the store,  the manager finished counting baked goods and said “I can help whoever’s next.”






No comments: