Sunday, July 15, 2018

Dog in the Bed O.G.

This is Walter.  He is O.G. (Old Gangsta). He was the inspiration for my one hit wonder I Gotta Bury my Bone. I’m not surprised if you haven’t heard of it. It mostly ran in dog circles.  He also inspired the as yet incomplete Dog in the Bed and Small Dog in a Big Dog’s Body.
He’s a Great Dane-Lab mix (like Oona) and in his slimmer and younger ears would look like a Dane galloping after the ball in the Lab’s  body.  He is a dear.



Here he is in front of the portable air conditioner son in law brought out to save the day.  Today was the hottest day Seattle has ever seen. Naturally.  I tried to put his bed in front of the air for greater comfort but the pain in his hips makes it too difficult to quickly get to his feet if he has to protect us.



It was a relaxing day of knitting and pajamas until dinnertime. Highlights of dinner-rather than an eloquently written essay I’ll give bullet points.
  • A 20 minute wait that was 45 minutes
  • An additional hour before food was served (with a small basket of fries to “hold us over.”)
  • A burger that was charcoal
  • Refills (which this particular restaurant advertises as “their thing”) not forthcoming
  • Macaroni and cheese with broccoli served ten minutes after the meal because broccoli was forgotten
  • An adult size sprite in a glass for a child (with the waiter saying-I’m not going toahve to mop up later am I?)
  • Water pitcher refilling an order of seltzer

And really I’m not complaining.  These are little things, and they happen. But when they happen after the car rental and bakery experience you just have to sigh a little, be glad you’re well fed and think about the ice cream at the house for later.

Edited to add...last night Walter slept on the floor at my bedside.  This morning he asked to go out. He was very subtle but I knew what he wanted.  As he went out the door he looked back as if  inviting me to join him so I did. Before relieving himself he picked up his tennis ball, walked a few yards with it, looked back again and dropped it. Later as I was packing he put his front paws on the bed, unable to get the rear ones up, for a little goodbye.  It’s probably the last time I’ll see him and he just wanted to say thanks for rubbing my itchy eyes.

No comments: