Saturday, September 02, 2017

Yarn snob-Food snob. Same difference.

There has always been a certain amount of joking from knitters about hiding yarn from household members. We don't have that problem here because we spend allowances. Buy what you want, as much as you want and when you want as long as you are paying for it.

Of late resources have been diverted to food items and since those have to be stored in a shared space there is a certain amount of planning that goes into storage. As long as I keep the paper plates, salt and pepper in easily accessed places and things don't fall out of the cupboard, it's all good.

There may or may not have been eyebrows raised at the brown rice syrup, brown rice pasta and one pound bag of raw cashews but you really can't argue with the +/- 20 lbs lost. He knows my argument and has it with himself with every bag I bring in. It's easier that way.

However, countertop appliances are his nemesis. The blender is on top of the refrigerator. The mini-chopper has a cozy spot in the cupboard as do the canning jars. (I knew I'd eventually find a use for those).

In my car at this very moment is a life-size food processor. It's just the $30 one Athough anybody could have convinced me to go big or go home, I learned my lesson of not buying expensive tools until you know what you're doing and know if you're going to keep doing it.

I am waiting for a time when he is not closely scrutinizing what I bring into the house (like when he's not home!) for that. At the very least I want it to be out of the box before he sees it. And he hates cardboard boxes so I may leave that in the car. I can't hide it forever if I want to use it but the goal is to weave it into the fabric of our lives and pretend we've had it for years.

After a nap I will look into making plant based (no cheese sauce) macaroni and cheese. If this can be a healthy low-calorie alternative I will be thrilled (but will have to find a reliable source for nutritional yeast). Other weekend adventures include black bean brownies made with dark chocolate and the go-to honey oat granola bars.

What. The. What. I am cooking food. That's just cray cray.

No comments: