Saturday, September 23, 2017

Weekend Dining

Come to find I am an excellent cook when making food I love.

This morning's activities started with some easy peasy hummus and again some leftover carrots.

 

The big experiment of the morning were chocolate covered Katie's ultimate unbaked brownies. The main ingredients are dates and nuts. It called for just walnuts but I had (and therefore used) a walnut/macadamia/cashew combo.

 

Dates are sticky gooey. Once food processed they make the processor tired. It becomes the texture of those little Debbie brownies. Cocoa makes it chocolatey. The frosting is coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and cocoa. I don't know much about dates. They kind of creep me out but the internet says they're good for you. It looks like this-

 

I don't know how they taste yet. After you make them they need to be refrigerated for two hours.

This was followed by the main course- brown rice with mushroom stroganoff. The bonus of using the stroganoff seasoning vs. just Italian seasoning is that the spice packet seems to have a bit of a thickening agent. Greathusbandbob ate it. I asked if it was good. He gave a lukewarm "yeah- I kept looking for the meat though". I thought it was spectacular and had the feeling of mushroom risotto.

There's a head of cauliflower in the fridge waiting to become cauliflower crust pizza tomorrow. Rather than using sauce and cheese I'm going to top with olive oil and garlic and use with the hummus. There will also be bean chili for lunches next week.

 

No comments: