Thursday, September 07, 2017

All manner of kid things to make one smile.

The high school.  What a great gift this class was to my burnt out self.  The girl who I thought was suspicious of me declared me her favorite teacher this morning.  Although it might have been because she wanted a reference for a special activity but I kind of think it's not.


It was so much fun with the straws, we took some notes and moved to the trumpet mouthpieces and brass tubing.

The mouthpieces were $3 each so I let them keep them.  The above mentioned class member shared hers with her 2 year old sister and returned to class the next day with this-



THAT was so much fun that I rushed through my chat on orchestral and folk string instruments and brought the cigar box slide guitar kit for assembly.



Presenting the various eras of history and the music from each has the potential to be not as interesting. I've started brain storming about how to maintain interest.  As of now the plan is to play some Renaissance dance music on the ukulele.  Not sure what I'll do when we hit the Classical or Romantic period.

After we finish all of the instruments in the portion of the course on timbre, we will be talking about pitch.  I found out THIS was a thing.  It rolls up.  It weighs nothing.  It takes batteries or can be powered with a computer USB.  This will be handy.





With the younger ones I was asked to give some extra recess to K-er's this afternoon, looked up and spotted this- no one needs to be taught that trees are made to be danced around.  That tree must be so happy.





And finally from/for the youngest set.  Greatniece's baby girl due in October-  They had a shower where they live in New York and I finally spotted a theme to knit around.  The little mitts were to be fox faces but greathusbandbob suggested paws and that's the best.  There's also a standard baby sock pattern that I will do in the same colors so that all four "paws" are covered.




Just lots of things to smile at. I can't argue with that.










1 comment:

kmkat said...

I want to be in your h.s. music class! Maybe for the classical and romantic periods you could find some pop pieces that are based on classical ones.

http://www.wqxr.org/story/247505-top-five-beethoven-samples-popular-music/
http://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/periods-genres/modern/classical-music-pop-songs/bright-eyes-beethoven/

I'm sure you can find many more.