Thursday, August 03, 2017

Sorry about all the food posts but it does keep me motivated.

So today it was wild rice, green beans, total and soy milk, summer vegetable soup, salad, fried eggs and whole grain english muffins and a very berry smoothie.



This smoothie had blackberries, blueberries and strawberries in it- although you can't tell in the picture, it was a spectacular purple color.  What you couldn't taste was that it had half a bag of spinach in it which is about 14 calories but I believe added some bulk to it making it feel at least a little bit like ice cream- the thing I miss the most.  It felt ice cream enough for today.

Wild rice served as today's "filler." I had it with green beans (which came fresh from a zumba friend's garden) and I put some in the summer vegetable soup.  Speaking of that soup, a little lemon zest goes a long (very long) way.  I think the combined acid of the tomato brings out the lemon even more.  

I still have tomatoes, cucumbers, a red onion and a red pepper from the farmers market.  It was going to be a cold  soup (gazpacho as it were) with pureed tomato but that's a lot like the hot soup from yesterday.  I'm thinking that tomorrow I will just make a cucumber/tomato salad with some red wine vinegar and olive oil.  It will be delicious with cottage cheese.  It seems a waste to puree fresh garden tomatoes.  I'll have too much so I'll take some to the cousin who likely doesn't eat a whole lot of fresh vegetables.

So I had some ideas about other foods.  Barley is calling to me as is buckwheat flour.  I'm thinking I might be able to make some buckwheat cakes (like pancakes) to trick me into believing its a gluten-y carb.  Barley feels like a thick food and I have images of it sticking onto broccoli in some sort of mixture.  I'm going to have to give that more thought.

I found a seemingly easy recipe for granola so that is going on the "to try" list.

Let's talk about sugar and carbs.  I think I am getting plenty of sugar in the fruits I've been eating.  I did add a little equal to sweeten both of the smoothies.  I opted for that instead of trying to figure out what medjool dates are and how they work.

My body isn't demanding sweet sweet carbs (cookies cakes etc) as it was when I started this.  I look at them longingly knowing that "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels" and I can resist.  And let's just say that resisting is more than just not buying them.  Greathusbandbob always has a refrigerator full of baked goods for his evening treats.  It's partly what got me into this mess in the first place.

On the second to last Friday before school starts (tomorrow), I'm going to try clean out my car and put things together for the start of school.  There are some things in the secret basement room that came home with me two years ago that didn't make it back last year.  

I'm a little anxious about the new class at the high school.  I know I'll be a genius but I just want to know what I'm going to have to do to be that.



2 comments:

sunshine said...

I wish I could do as good as you are doing. I don't have a sweet fetish but I have a carb fetish, noodles, potatoes, bread. That is tough to quit eating!

Suzanne said...

I am just starting my journey with a weight loss program at the local Hospital. Writing down everything I eat keeps me aware, but I am still in the middle of the de-sugaring fight. It sounds like you are doing great. Good luck with school...my Husband reports back in 2 weeks.