Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Food from the earth but I'm not becoming "one of THOSE people."

This is what lunch looked like today-

 

The potatoes were Yukon gold and baked and were so delicious that they didn't need butter, though I did add some cottage cheese to trick myself into believing it was sour cream. The tomato came from a Zumba friend's garden and tasted as a tomato should.

Speaking of Zumba- another goal was met- perfect attendance for the month of August. That put me in "the drawing" and I won my first Zumba shirt. The sad part is that I'm likely done with Zumba with friends until May because I hate driving home in the dark. I will still have WiiU Zumba.

 

In case I failed to mention it, overnight chia oatmeal is amazing! I don't know if it's the different milks (coconut and almond) or if it's the chia seeds but it has some serious oomph to it.

The chia seeds have made it into the kitchen proper. There was an order delivered to the school that will take some masterminding. We don't have a ton of cupboard space and I have to make it look like nothing new was added. I don't really have to hide it but life is less complicated with a little creative storage.

Waiting to find a place in the lineup is a pretty big bag of raw cashews and the full fat coconut milk for cooking. There are several varieties of brown rice pasta and there also might be a food processor. I'm thinking I may stash the blender for special occasions and store the food processor in its place.

On the experimenting front there are some black bean brownies that look promising and now that I have cashews and tamari sauce, the world is my oyster. Also greathusbandbob is going out of town one night next week and I'll have free reign to experiment with abandon in the kitchen. Never did I think that would be something I would look forward to.

It could be that my new hobby will be plant based cooking. I'm stashing ingredients the way some people stash yarn.

School is school. I love the high school gig. I often wonder if I'm really mature enough to be teaching them and then I remember how old I am and realize that at least I can fake it.

The elementary part is so discouraging. I've gone from teaching music to kids twice a week to teaching them music once a week. The other times I have them I will be monitoring a math computer program. It makes me so sad. There are some days (today) where I only teach 90 minutes of music in an eight hour day. The rest of the day is computer and recess duty. I just don't feel like thinking about it.

And I do think of the world at large. I am mostly rendered speechless about the sad and crazy and need my little bubble now and again.

2 comments:

sunshine said...

I also need that little bubble every so often. The world seems very overwhelming for me to think about and makes me very sad.

kmkat said...

The secret to teaching teenagers and enjoying them -- learned from my husband -- is to have that part of yourself that never grew up ready to emerge at any moment. (Just remember that you are the adult in the room. Sometimes that is the part that needs to pop up.)