Monday, August 17, 2009

It's a wonderful town...

This is what Coney Island looks like on a hot day in August. It took every bit of effort to remain vertical in the heat!





I highly recommend West Side Story. Tony was a bit of an acting/singing disappointment but Maria and the rest of the cast made it worthwhile.

I don't understand. The mom of 4 kids in front of us bought skittles- sour gummy drops etc. for her children to crackle throughout the first 40 minutes of the show, stopping only when the German man behind us said, "Can't you find another time to eat? Stop It." Yay for the German guy.

It also begs the question- why the hell do they sell such things at the theater? My theory? People believe that the movies are now like their living room at home and the theater is like the movies. Ugh. It was a similar experience at The Lion King only it was running commentary in Italian-even that was tolerable because it is a sort of "for kids" kind of event.

After the show we went to Maxies on 48th and 7th. We both ordered Maxie's Classic Rueben which was essentially a pound of corned beef smothered in sauerkraut and swiss cheese. There might have been some bread underneath. Neither of us really got that far. It was a little more than I was hoping for (and how often do you get to say that?)



Today I worked on the HP bag. It'll do. Tomorrow I'll attempt inserting a lining. Having never done that, I'm happy for any advice you might send my way.

5 comments:

Haley said...

the bag looks great. very nice! i've never done a fabric lining, but i did a knit lining for my hello kitty bag. let me know if you want more info.

YawnOver said...

Maxie's is ridiculous. My leftover lox could have fed a family of five for at least a week. But, yum. That rueben looks awesome.

I'm on vacation in Maine and it's ghastly hot here too. Probably doesn't help that I'm knitting a wool sweater at the beach.

Your HP bag is the shizz-knitz.

Yvonne said...

Awesome! That reuben looked like a killer sammy. Hope you're having fun!!

silvia said...

I too love going to Broadway, but have to steel my nerves for the patrons. Movies at the theater are out of the question. I am cranky apparently.

The bag is very cute! Nice work there. I would make the lining a tad larger than the bag (width and length-wise half inch max - 1/4" per seam) and ease it in on the top edge to account for the bag being stretchy and the lining not. This assumes you're lining it with a woven :) but it's not essential.

Other than that, it's pretty darn easy to line that bag. If you're feeling crazy you may want to sew a pocket into the lining to hold keys or your phone so you don't have to search for them at the bottom of the bag. Crazy, I told you. Good luck!

Lydee said...

Oh thank you for the pictures. I would love to go someday. unbelievable about the candy.