Saturday, June 13, 2009

flummoxed part deux

A list of things done in the last 24 hours.

1. Test the sewing machine. All is well.

2. Read the pattern about 15 times. I think I've got it.

3. Pick up plenty of fabric at Joanne's.

4. Wash, dry AND IRON said fabric. No short cuts here. I'm doing this one right.

5. Cut the pieces according to the directions- oh the thrill/anxiety/freedom of cutting without a pattern. It only took until the fourth piece to let my math skills work for me.

6. Retest the sewing machine. Holy crap! The stitches are the right width and the right tension. That NEVER happens.

7. Load up the bobbin.

8. Begin to sew pieces together only to find that my sewing machine prefers reverse no matter where the little switchy knob thing is.

9. Take a shower and call it a day.

I put it in "reverse" to wind the bobbin. It never came back. Also the foot pedal randomly snaps down although I haven't caught my fingers yet. Damn.

I wanted to be one of those people who declared the greatness of their 20 year old sewing machine.

Most of me wants to go visit that place that sells stuff cheap and pick one up on Monday (waiting so that Mr. Sophanne doesn't worry that I'm obsessing about it.) Part of me says quit while I can.

9 comments:

Yarnhog said...

My sewing machine is from the 1940s and looks and works like a tank off a WWII assembly line. Unstoppable. Unfortunately, I think I'd be less afraid of a tank. It's that slashing little needle. And all the noise. I'm convinced it's going to suck my fingers in and never give them back. I used to think this was an irrational fear, until one of the women in my knitting group told me that actually happened to her! The needle went into her fingernail and got stuck in the down position, and she had to wait until someone came home to get a screwdriver and free her! You can imagine how much that made me want to revisit the idea of using my machine. :b

Anonymous said...

I always silence that part of me that says quit while I can. I get the idea that when something doesn't go right that "it" is out to get me....like it's some sort of conspiracy against me completing the project I set out on....I am a stubbornly determined person. So that part of me is heroic-ly cheering you on girl! Get that peasant skirt before it gets you!!! YOU KIN DO IT!!!!!

Sharon said...

Oh, totally what vanfox23 said! The stronger the feeling gets that I should just step away from the project, the more determined I become to see it through to completion.

Anonymous said...

I'd stay well away from the cheap-o machines and just bring your machine in for a tuneup. Sounds like that's all it needs. When it comes back, you'll want to sew again - right?

zerdiecj said...

You could take your machine to the Vac Shop on 19 by Subway across from Jimmie John's for a tune up. They do ok wih basic machines. Hope you continue your quest for sewing.

JessaLu said...

Mine stopped working a few weeks ago which sent me into a screaming tailspin - thankfully it was a simple fix and all was well within a day. I hope you can get yours working, it's so frustrating when machines don't cooperate!

Carol said...

I have a ...hmmm, counts fingers...35 year old Singer Genie that still works. Of course, I use it once a year, so......

YawnOver said...

I have also drooled over a new machine as mine is in the neighborhood of 25-30 years old. Am mostly afraid that buying one will cause me to have a new Hobby...

The skirt came out really cute, btw.

=Tamar said...

I'd rather get a sewing machine that is 50 to 80 years old than one that is 20 years old. 20 years is the 1980s-1990s, many were plastic and junk, but 50-80 years old is the 1920s-1950s. Back then they were cast iron and built to last _and_ they were made for you to do the upkeep yourself. Keep sewing! You can do it!