Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Hmm...

Here's what I need you to know.

1. Yesterday Aunt of Sophanne (whose 80th birthday is this Sunday) slipped on wet grass while walking the dog and shattered her wrist. Surgery (including two pins and some sort of external rod) is Thursday.

2. Last month a washer hose broke and flooded her laundry room, kitchen and basement.

3. Two weeks ago her asshat neighbor registered a complaint to the city saying that house needs painted and she never cuts her grass.

Commentary- the only reason asshat neighbor noticed the house (which was scheduled to be painted anyway) was because of the landscaping she was having done by the guys who cut her grass every Thursday.

I arrived today to be told by the painters that when they arrived today she was calling out having lost her balance and fallen again. Just a balance thing and no further injuries. The painters remained until the hell storm lightning storm began. The carpet guys arrived with instructions to remove a gas stove to which they couldn't find the valve and asked me to look for it. After finding it, they moved the stove as requested but did nothing about the fact that now the dishwasher won't open. And pre-admission for Thursday's surgery was at 2:00 pm. Also the carpet layers were kind enough to point out a leaky hose in the garage likely caused by the painters tightening the valve too tight. We'll be sure to call the plumber as soon as we can figure out a way for aunt to get her pants all the way up so she doesn't have plumbers crack when they arrive.

Pre-admission questions included "when was your last menstrual cycle?" and "are you pregnant?" and "does your injury prevent you from doing daily life activities?". And while our nurse doing the pre-ad had to hunt and peck as she was typing in the list of medications (13 maybe-with really long names) and spelled "wrist" as "wrists" consistently, she was able to tap Aunt's rolling veins on the first try. I'd much rather have a vein-savvy nurse rather than a typing genius.

Did I mention that the dog is really only partially trained and poops on the floor on occasion?

I just need my blog friends to know where I am and what's going on

On the up side- a 16 year old neighbor showed up at the house and asked to walk the dog. I was frazzled and wanted to thank/meet her so I went searching later in the day. Turns out her mom works at the hospital and was having a guest over and that guest happened to be the person who could get me in touch with and dance through all of the necessary steps for home health care after the surgery. Better still I overheard aunt on the telephone acknowledging that she would need such care. I'm going to pretend that she listened to me when I said that sometimes aging gracefully means accepting help when you need it. (I hope I can remember that when it's time and I hope that I have someone to help me.) My husband would call that chance meeting a "god thing.". I would call it karma. The universe was smiling upon me.

I'm blogging from the iPad so enjoy the auto-corrects.

10 comments:

LisaBe said...

oh my. i thought *my* day sucked. so sorry about all the asshatting. big hugs to you, mr. sophanne, aunt of sophanne, and of course lucy.

JelliDonut said...

Karma indeed. Hang in there. The universe is obviously setting you up for some really good things. Thanks for thinking of us.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to Aunt of Sophanne! (And you, too, of course.)

Anonymous said...

God or karma...I believe it's all wrapped up in a higher power that we lay-folks will never understand. However, I am thankful that the good energy was in your favor. Here's hoping that Aunt of Sophanne has a smooth surgery!

flutter said...

Oh honey...

Becky said...

I am sending you (and aunt) lots of good vibes, things can only improve from here!

Sunshine said...

Ya know the only thingh that could have been worse? That she really was pregnant. She isn't is she? Thank you for being who you are!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, boy.

I hope the universe decides to quit messing with you soon.

Carrie K said...

Poor Aunt of Sophanne had a run of bad things. And possibly pregnant too! Gotta love those one-size-fits-all questionnaires. Not.

Of course she listened to you. She just doesn't have to admit it now. :)

Cindy said...

We'll be here. Thanks for the update and you are a good good soul and she is a very lucky lady.