Friday, March 26, 2010

kids and the internets

It was a bad day in choir last week. I believe that the major contributing factor was that these 5th graders had just watched the movie (in separate rooms) "boys get erections and girls get periods." That might ruin any happy-go-lucky 11 year old's day.

While no one actually mentioned the actual viewing of the movie, kids responded according to their personalities. They were loud, sullen, silly, and annoying. Mostly running the gamut, as only 11 year olds can, of emotional responses to having to "know" this knowledge in a group setting.

One girl in particular sat staring at me, while everyone else was "singing", with her lips sealed, her eyebrows furrowed and a decidedly "you can't make me sing" look on her face. In regular music class I let these things pass- it's not everyone's favorite thing- in choir (where they elect to be) it's a "no-go." When I asked her what the problem was she said "I don't like this song." (of course one of my favorites.)

I offer up one of my rare rants (not specifically to her) that includes "if you can't pull it together to sing here, maybe we Won't sing at the 5th grade graduation" and "I'm really disappointed in you" and "I'm going to quit talking and you're just going to sing so I won't say anything that I don't mean" and "I sure hope things change when we get back from Spring Break."

While their behavior was aggravating, given all of the contributing factors, it was to be expected. I realized this a little later and got over it mostly

Last night "you can't make me sing" girl friended me on Faceb00k. This afternoon she sent me this message:

Hey Mrs. Sophanne,
I am sorry for having an attitude in choir!!!! Next week after break I will come in ready to sing even if I don't like the song!!!! :)


The internet is nice for adults as a way to express themselves that might be less scary- more honest-true to themselves. Seems kids can find some use for that opportunity too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that was a sweet email from the girl. Good for her (and good for you that your opinion matters to her).

Cindy said...

How dear. I sometimes worry about the kids. They often have no way to express themselves and therefore shut it all in. You rock as a teacher. You also rock as a friend (this is MY personal view, thankyouverymuch).

Yarnhog said...

That's really cool. A spontaneous and sincere apology from an 11-year-old! I'm pretty sure I've never had one of those.

Is that really the name of the movie? That would distress me all by itself.

Sharon said...

Just when we think kids don't listen to anything we say, they show us that they were listening all the time. I wish there were more teachers like you and more kids like her!

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's cute. I still remember watching that movie in grade school. I wonder if it's changed in the one billion years since I'd seen the egg with the happy face?

Lydee said...

my 5th grade choir members had a mini revolt a month ago or so and it was over a song they didn't like. go figure. i think they've called a truce with the song. weird.